Breast Cancer Community
Lump Before..... Lump Again....Same spot.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Okay.  I will try to keep this brief.  in 2001, when I was 22, I found a lump in my breast.  There is no history of cancer in my family, except for prostate cancer (paternal grandfather).  So, I went to the doctor, had a biopsy, then had surgery to remove it.  It was a cyst, benign, of course.

Now, it's 2012, I'm 34 and I have a lump again.  It feels bigger than before, but it's in pretty much the same location as before.  (I have an appt with my GYN the 1st week in November, so a little over a week.  

My mother, who is 59, has just found a lump in her breast.  She is scheduled for a mammogram shortly.  I, being under 40, wonder if my doc will make me get a mammogram or if I will have some sort of surgery.....

I know this isn't a question, as questions go, it's more of a history, and a plea for advice and maybe educated guesses.  (Sorry, I am not conforming to the question standard..... Just wondering if anyone has had a situation like this).  Is it possible to have a new cyst, or could it be more?  

The main thing is to see what happens with my mother, because, she may have something serious, which will give me some family history (I hope not, but you never know).  But, we are sort of seeing our docs around the same time, so we'll see what happens based on each of our appointments......
Of course it's very possible to develop a new cyst as well as a variety of other breast lumps,mostly benign ones.
There is no absolute in terms of age for mammograms.The general recommendation is baseline between 35-40 .The difficulty with young women having a mammogram is that the breast tissue tends to be dense and could obscure a density making the reading difficult,so doctors usually order an Ultrasound first and if something is not clearly identified then a Mammogram or other tests such as an MRI or even a biopsy could follow.
If your doctor orders a mammogram,it could help if you schedule the test shortly after your period, as your breasts tend to be denser in the week or two before your period.
It's a good thing that you and your mom are having your breast lumps evaluated, and I hope that all will turn out fine.
All the best to both of you!
Thanks for the info.... Hopefully we both will be fine.... Time will tell..... I am sure it's a cyst (for me at least), but just wondering if it could be more.... But I will not worry myself to death!