Breast Cancer Community
Lump Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump Removal

I have to have a lump removed on left breast on Friday. Should I be able to go back to work on Monday. I have a desk job?
I believe that depends on what the doctor tells you.  Sometimes it depends on how big the lump is and whether you have a drain or anything of that sort.  I know you are definitely supposed to take it easy though.
Your Surgeon would be the best person to answer this question ... you will be given specific instructions for your post-op care. As a rule if you're having a lumpectomy you can resume normal activity as tolerated but it really depends on how extensive the surgery. You may not feel like working that soon due to the anesthesia alone and more than a day or two of rest might be a good idea. You also have to consider the possibility of some internal bleeding if you become too active too soon. I'd advise you not to make plans to return to work until you've talked with your Surgeon.  Best Wishes for a speedy recovery ......
Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will go smooth and they will tell me it is benign

Thanks again
Thanks for answering me. I am just a little scared and anyones help is greatly appreciated.

Oh you are very welcome!!  My mother just had a lumpectomy back in August and I helped to take care of her, and now I am helping with her chemotherapy and soon to be radiation.  I hope all goes well and I'll pray for you.
All over and just resting. It was not bad at all. Doctor does not think it is cancer. I go back on tuesday to find out for sure. Thanks for all you help.