Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump after stereotactic biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lump after stereotactic biopsy

I'm so glad I found this site.  I recently had my annual and the doctor found a small lump. I was already expecting to be scheduled for my first mammogram, being 37 years old.  But my baseline became a diagnostic, with at least 13 pictures of my left breast, followed by an ultrasound.  I was sent to a breast surgeon who then needle aspirated 3 cysts, then told me I had microcalcifications and needed a stereotactic biopsy.  Well, I survived that on March 2nd.  However, I have a huge hard lump since having the biopsy done.  Is this normal?  I have my follow up appointment tomorrow, but would love to hear some input from anyone else who has experienced the same thing.
Dear stormyj: It is possible that you may have experienced some bleeding into the site which feels like a lump.  Your surgeon will evaluate the area tomorrow and be able to advise you based on the examination.  
Thank you CCF-RN.  The lump after the stereotactic biopsy is a hematoma. Warm compresses should help decrease it.
So what did your pathology reports say?  After all that, inquiring minds want to know.

You had 13 images taken?  This seems excessive.  What I worry about here is that women who read the notes may think this is standard procedure.  It isn't.

And the microcalcifications must have been in the pattern which raises questions, as opposed to the microcalicifications which are within normal limits.

I hope your hematoma resolves quickly.
I just experienced this.  I had a steriotactic biopsy two days before Christmas.  It was quite a painful procedure and I am not sure if I was just not given enough novacaine or if it did not dissipate in the tissue well enough.  Part way through the procedure, the doctor had to stop and give me more medication.  From that point, I developed the hard painful lump you describe.  I was told that it was a hematoma and that this is a variable that happens to some patients.  To be honest with you, it hurt for a long time (upwards of a month, gradually getting better each day) and don't be surprised if the pain moves around in your breast.  My initial site is the upper quadrant of my right breast and before long, my nipple hurt.  I was told that as the hematoma dissipates in your system, the pain moves around. From there, I had a surgical biopsy performed.  Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful.  The breast tissue was from the wrong spot and I am now awaiting my second surgical biopsy next month.  It's been a long slow road.  I wish you well and wanted to assure you that I felt all that you did, and being so afraid that there was something going on in there.  It can be hard to keep your nerves calm.  Katie
A related discussion, Continued bleeding at biopsy site was started.
A related discussion, Follow-up after negative stereotactic biopsy results was started.
A related discussion, Really freaking out after sterotactic biopsy was started.