Breast Cancer Community
Lump and Pain in left breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump and Pain in left breast

I recently discovered a lump in my breast which seems soft and it seems to move when pushed.  It is also painful right before and during my period, but a few days after my period it is no longer painful it feels numb although I can feel it is still there.  The pain is not severe, just fairly mild.  Also, it tends to swell during my period and then gets smaller afterward.  I am very concerned about this, but currently I do not have any health insurance.  Does this sound like something I need to get checked out ASAP or does it sound like a fibroid or other condition that can wait alittle while?  I am 32 years old, no children, and have no other symptoms than what I already listed.  Thank you for your help in advance.
It is a fibroadenoma most probably. The history you give is charecteristic - change in size, painful and tender due to hormonal fluctuations during your menstrual periods etc. It is a benign condition usually. You can wait before you go and see a doctor. But you still need to see one sooner or later to get a complete clinical evaluation done, because only then can the diagnosis be confirmed.
Your case history is typical of a fibroadenoma. This is a benign condition of the breast. It is more common among females between 18-30 yrs age group. The changes mentioned by you in relation to menses is basically due to hormonal changes.

It does not require an urgent clinical evaluation. But do take an appointment of an surgeon at your convenience.
Thank you for your responses, I was getting very worried after looking on WebMD, but it is a very broad subject on there.  I will make an appointment as soon as I have medical insurance, which should be within 2 months or so.  Thank you both again for your time and information!
Glad to be of help to you. Yes, 2 months is ok to wait before you schedule your appointment. Having your medical insurance is important because the doctor might want to run you through some basic investigations too. Also remember to carry on regular breast self examination till then. Report any abnormal features to the doctor like any change in lump size, nipple discharge, skin changes, etc.
Discuss all your doubts when you eventually go and see the doctor.