Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump and burning pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lump and burning pain

I have had pain in my breast for about a month. Last night I found a knot about the size of a nickle. I called to see if I needed to go to the emergency room or wait til Monday and see my regular doctor. When i called to find out they told me a burning or pain was not normal if it is a breast cancer situation. Is this true? What else could it be? A gland?
Dear Autumn Bryz:  It is true that most breast cancers are not painful. There are many possible explanations for feeling a lump, most of which are benign.  Having said that, if you have a lump, you should make an appointment with your physician to have it evaluated.
typically cancer is painless, so most painful lumps are not due to cancer. This is not 100% true, however. If you found a round lump which is tender, the most likely explanation is a cyst, which is a very common, harmless fluid collection. It can be diagnosed and made to go away by inserting a small needle. In any case, whereas it's most likely to be a simple harmless thing, any persisting lump needs an evaluation.
I woke up during the night with a burning pain and found a lump.  Doc assured me it was probably nothing due to the fact most breast cancer lumps are usually not painful.  Had sonogram which revealed a malignant lump on top of a cyst.  It was the cyst that was causing the pain but brought my attention to the lump.  Advice: don't ignore painful lumps.
I understand you problem.I too am waiting a mammogram and sonogram of left breast.Off and on for  last year I have had a lump come and go under my left armpit...and last week found a lump size of a bean in left breast.Went to dr and he found it and one behind it.It is now tender and burns after he mashed on it some.I have had discharge in that breast for long time as well.I had a hysterectomy over a  year ago at age 32.(33 now)I have been on premarin since.I am so scared of cancer.My mammo is Tuesday morning.
I had a mammogram yesterday and doc thinks its cancer. My breast has been sore since mammogram,  is this normal?
Also I squeezed my breast and milky discharge came out.