Breast Cancer Community
Lump and discoloration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump and discoloration

Last week I discovered a marble sized lump in my breast. The next day I noticed what appears to be a bruise where the lump is.  I have no memory of any injury to my breast.  Can a lump cause bruising, or is it more likely that I just did not notice that bruising and actually injured my breast and that caused the lump.
1 Comment
Hi there.

Breast lumps associated with bruising can be due to fibrocystic changes in the breast, associated with fragile blood vessels that can cause a hematoma underneath the skin even with the lightest pressure.  This may resolve with observation after hormonal stimulation has waned throughout the menstrual cycle.

I would suggest that this be seen by your doctor to be further examined.  If he deems it possible, he may request mammograms or ultrasound.

Regards and God bless.