Breast Cancer Community
Lump doesnt show on Ultrasound and Mammogram
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lump doesnt show on Ultrasound and Mammogram

hi...Im a 20 year old female who found a lump on my left breast next to my nipple..yesterday i had an ultrasound and mammogram the radiologist said he could see nothing..but i can feel it! he said its probably just fat tissue i am not happy with this supposed diagnosis..i am getting very worried about this lump..i keep reading that in young women its harder to detect anything and especially around the nipple area because its dense..im not sure what i am supposed to do now?..i booked an appointment for tomorrow with my doctor ..can anyone give advice on what the next procedure may be? thanks in advance xx
1 Comment
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi,
In my opinion if there's a lump in your breast, it really doesn't matter what the mammogram or ultrasound show or doesn't show..If you are really worried about it,I think the best thing to do is to ask your doctor to have a the lump aspirated by a fine needle (FNA)
If it's a cyst, it will collapse and no further treatment will be necessary,but if the lump is a solid one,the needle can sample it so that the cells extracted can be examined by a pathologist.
Please don't jump to any conclusion...the fact that this lump is palpable but does not show on radiology, does not make it cancerous or increase the chances of it being cancerous.
Another option would be to have an MRI test ,which is a very good tool to detect an abnormality when one has dense breast. You may discuss with your Doctor about these different options and see what he/she recommends okay?.
All the best  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...