Breast Cancer Community
Lump in Armpit and now sweet smelling clear discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I just came back from the doctor with no answers so I thought I would try this.

About two weeks ago I noticed a small lump under my left armpit. This was right below my extra milk gland and not painful.  I was told I have a lot of breast tissue under this armpit and when I breastfed my children I always had a large milk gland where I couldn't put my arm all the way down.

Now There is a lump and after finding it two weeks ago it is a little larger. I went to the doctor today and he said that it is not a cyst- it was small but deep and that it wasn't a swollen lymph node.  He wasn't sure what it was but didn't think I needed to be concerned. I do have a history of breast cancer in my family but he didn't think it was that.  

Just a little while ago, when I was feeling the lump, clear sweet smelling discharge came out. Just a little bit, but the size has not gone down.  I also have pimple like pumps on my nipples,that has this same discharge, but only when I squeeze the pumps.  They have been there for over a year and has never gone away, just increased in the amount.  

Should I be concerned or should I just let this go without answers, like the doctor sugested?

Thanks!
Hi there.

This condition can have different causes.  A common cause, especially in nursing women are milk ducts that are enlarged and filled with milk.  This may explain the lump, however it may not explain why there is a discharge in the lump.  Another plausible cause is the presence of an infection.  This can present with a swollen lump and the discharge maybe purulent.  This is usually treated with antibiotics.  I suggest however, that you discuss all of these possibilities with your doctor and possible to have diagnostic procedures done such as mammogram or ultrasound just to make sure that you have nothing to worry about.

Regards and God bless.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this.  I will schedule a mammogram and maybe I will get some answers.  I am not breastfeeding- my youngest is 5 now. It isn't red and doesn't hurt so the doctor didn't think it was an infection.  Who knows what it could be- it has only been there for a couple of weeks, I will just give it time and hope it goes away.

I am also breastfeeding and noticed a small pea size lump under my right armpit...do u think it is a cause of concern or probably a milk gland?

Avatar n tn
I have an extra milk gland under my arm.  I knew it was a milk gland because when my milk was full, the milk gland was large and when it was empty it was smaller.  If it doesn't seem to fill with milk it may not be a milk gland.

I actually have a pump under where the milk gland was.(The milk gland has been long since empty now that I don't breastfeed) Still no answers for me.  I hope you can find answers soon. Best of luck.
It might be a milk gland too b/c i noticed it last year too when i was breastfeeding then stopped nursing b/c of pregnancy and it wasn't there, was your milk gland under your armpit?

Avatar n tn
Yes, it is under my left armpit.  It sounds like yours is an extra milk gland.  The Dr. told me this is common.  After 4 breastfed children, I now have extra skin in that armpit were  it was stretched for so long.  

Best of luck.

Was your lump gone after breastfeeding/.  Sometimes mine is small and sometimes a little big, swollen..i am hoping it is just a milk gland.