Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump in Nipple and Breastfeeding

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lump in Nipple and Breastfeeding
Currently breastfeeding since his birth, 8 weeks and since then have noticed a small pea size lump under my nipple.  It is located on the where the skin meets the nipple colored area.  I know this was not here before I gave birth and started breastfeeding.  I did get a breast infection in the other and took medication to help.  I am assuming that if this was a blocked duct I would have gotten sick long before the other breast got infected and it has not nor has the lump moved or gotten bigger.  Wondering if I have concern for something more serious than a blocked duct?
Dear bamak:  There are several possible explanations for the lump that you feel.  However, without examination, it is impossible to speculate on this particular lump.  As a rule of thumb, any new lump needs investigation.  You should have your doctor do an examination and hopefully, he/she can shed some light on this for you.
I'm not sure, but try checking information regarding your Montgomery Gland.  I believe this is the "bumps" on your areola, responsible for cleaning your nipple.  Maybe this is it.  Maybe it's an infection of that gland.