Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump in Right Breast and scared

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lump in Right Breast and scared

I found a lump in my breast in July, had a mammo/US last week.  Neither picked up anything but all techs and doc agreed there is a "speed bump" as the tech called it in m y breast.  The tech was very "chill" about it, As she was telling me I was free to go the doc pulled her out. He wanted more mammo pics. As I was leaving the nurse said I need to come back in 6 mos to monitor the lump. She then pulled me aside AGAIN after I was checking out to tell me I needed to get a MRI.  I am feeling a little insecure about the findings.  The lump wasn't described as anything, ie. calcification, cyst etc.  Was that b/c it probably is nothing?  The fact that I was getting shuffled around is making me nervous and on top of it all lastnight I was laying in bed and the lump feels bigger already in one week.  My husband actually confirmed it and he is one to "poo poo" these types of things.  Has anyone had any thing like this happen to them and do lumps grow that quickly?
Dear Katie01, Without being able to evaluate the test results and examine this lump it is difficult to comment on what would be recommended in terms of follow-up.  A lump could feel different within a short space of time however, that could be for many reasons and the change in size alone does not tell us what this might be.  You should have a discussion with the doctor about the results of your tests.  They can explain things to you with all of the information and make recommendations for how best to follow this up.  

I also have lumps. I have noticed sometimes they feel larger in one position and smaller in another. When you compare size are you always in the same position? I also have a benign fluid filled galactocele that grew to golf ball size and then finally shrunk to almond size last year. There are many lumps that are benign that grow. However, malignant lumps also grow. I think the reason they want to monitor the lump is because they don't know what type of lump it is. If they could have seen it on US they could possible tell you what type of lump it is.  I think you got shuffled around because they don't know how to designate the lump. I imagine they're hoping the MRI will tell them more. You can also go for a second opinion if you're not comfortable there. Just remember, the majority of lumps are benign. It's not knowing that drives us all crazy! I wish you the best.
Thank you so much!

I have found a hard lump in my left breast, almost under my arm.  My arm hurts, my breast hurts, and lymph nodes are swollen.  I am trying to get an appointment for a mammogram this week.   I also have become very tired.
I am scarred this could be cancer.   The pain is persistant it never lets up. My arm is now becoming numb at times.
It's always important to check out any lumps. Not knowing what it is can be scary, but many breast problems are benign. I hope you can get an appointment soon to get some answers.

Thank you, I hope I can get an appointment soon.   My mom tried to pay for a mammogram.  The imaging center here in Lafayette Louisiana refused to give me one.  I was going to take file to the University Hospital here in Lafayette.  This would have sped up the process,  now I will probobly have to wait two to three months to get an appointment.  
when I was 51  on the Mamm.  they found I had a spot the size of pencil lead, not sweat I was OK with that, they radiated and it was cleared up....18 years later I went for my check up and the Dr. said you have a little lump, I laughed and said I have lots of lumps, two days later I had a mammogram, and biopsy at the same time, and another two days I had a double mastectomy, I feel good, except from the tamoxifin (tamoxifen) I have gained 20 lbs, and am constatly tired another side affect.... losing my breasts was not a big deal, since I always hated my big like you would say boobs....I was a size 10 with 38 D breasts ugly, anyway no reconstruction there fell I'm too old....all you gals who lost your breasts to cancer, cheer up it could have been worse you could be dead, so rejoice an sing you are well, the only thing I hate is the weight gain from a 10 to a 14 and those are getting small, another 4 years of tamoxifin (tamoxifen)...
All I want to say life is good, I lost my husband to cancer 4 years ago and that's another story....
Radiology centers usually do require a doctor's order to do mammogram and us. I know it's hard to get a doctor's appointment soon (at least it is in our area) but you could try going to a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant who specializes in women's care and get in faster. They could order a mammogram and refer you to a breast specialist. Waiting is soooooo hard. Just remember that manhy lumps, even painful ones, turn out benign.
You've got a great attitude and are a strong survivor. Thanks for sharing.
My dear,

I don't want to alarm you, but in July 2004, I felt a very small lump in my left breast.  It had not been a year since my last mammogram.  I went to my primary care doctor and he ordered a mammogram and referred me to a surgeon.  The surgeon was amazed I had felt the lump since it was under my nipple.  The mammogram did not show the lump, nor did a subsequent ultrasound.  The surgeon told me "not to worry" and to come back in 6 months.  I returned in January and had another mammogram and ultrasound with the same results.  The surgeon told me we could continue following it or he could remove it for my peace of mind.  I said I wanted it removed which he did and called me back to his office in a few days.  He said I had thrown him a curve; he never would have suspected it to be malignant.  It was less than a centimeter and turned out to be invasive breast cancer.  I threw him another curve when the results from my sentinel node biopsy during further surgery to remove tissue to clear margins indicated microscopic cancer in one lymph node.
My message to you is to trust your instincts, it is your body and your life. Be vocal about your concerns.  The squeaking wheel gets the grease as they say.  Insist on further diagnosis.  Isn't it possible for them to perform a needle biopsy?  If it turns out to be nothing, rejoice!  If it is malignant you will be on the road to treatment and recovery.  My prayers are with you.
This forum won't let me post a question (its full) so maybe you ladies who have been through this can offer some insight. I am 23 years old and a bit concerned. On Wednesday night I experienced 2 hours of irregular (fast, skippy) heartbeat. It has continued occassionaly but not for any significant amount of time. I then noticed on Friday that my right breast, along the right side, was sore. Upon self- examination I noticed a sore lump. It is now Monday and it continues to be sore and now can easily be felt through clothes. It feels like a gumdrop, doesn't move, is slightly smaller than a golf ball and shaped like a figure eight or a circus peanut. I normally have tenderness in both breast before my period but never anything like this. On the off chance it was injured from a bra (no new bras and no bruising) I stopped wearing them. Its bigger and more tender. All else seems normal. I have no health insurance. Whats my next step?
I think all new breast lumps need to be checked out. The majority of the time, they're fine, but I hate to have you take the chance. I would start by going to my primary care doctor or gynecologist if you have one. They can tell you if it needs to be explored further. Some lumps (especially those that are tender) can be hormonal, following your cycle, so you could wait a month and see if it gets smaller or disappears, but I wouldn't wait longer than a month. It takes me a month just to get in to see my doctor, so I usually make the appointment and figure if the lump disappears before my appointment I can always cancel it.
I just had another thought. Isn't October breast cancer awareness month? I believe some radiology centers offer a small number of free mammograms in October. I think you'd have to get a doctor to order a mammogram for you, but if you call around to radiology centers you may be able to schedule a free mammo.
I'm not able to post a question so I t hought I would try posting a comment.  
I found a lump on my right breast last week.  I went and had a US.  I called my doctor the following day and was just told "something with the ducts"  My doctor wasn't available to talk with me so i spoke with a nurse.  She said the US showed something about my ducts and told me that my doctor would call me if they needed to see me again.  Well, I haven't heard from my doctor and I called today and she is not in until tomorrow.  My breast hurt and I also found another lump but this one is more toward the under the arm (not under my arm but almost)  What could this be?  I've never had any children but have been pregnant.  (they were in my tube)  What could be wrong?  Please help I can not go another day without knowing something.
Just wondering if there is any chance you could be pregnant? This may sometimes cause the soreness. Please have it checked.
No chances that I am pregnant.  I wish though!  

I did speak with my P.A. and she told me that the ultrasound showed prominence in my breast.  Whatever that means???  I am over 30 (34) and am wondering if I should get a second opinion and request a mammogram?  I've been doing some reading about Ultrasounds and found out that ultrasounds do not detect certain cancers.  I also read that for women over 30 that a mammogram is used in coordination with an ultrasound, but they did not give me an ultrasound because they said my tissue was to dense.  My P.A. told me to keep my eye on the lumps and call her if they change in anyway.  I am still scared as I feel that I still don't have a real explanation about why the lumps are in my breast.  I don't have kids and so i am confused as to why my ducts are affected.  
I read that you sould go to a ACR accredited facilty because they have the best technology.  The place I had my Ultrasound done is not accredited in Ultrasound or Mammograms.  Actually the hosipital that I went to has a very bad reputation and many of the residents who live in the area actually travel to go to a better facility.  I do think that I will have a second opinion just to give me peace of mind.  (hopefully)
Do you have a surgery coming up this month?
Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Cysts are lumps that also cause soreness. Lumps and soreness really worry most women, but remember most problems turn out fine. I think second opinions are a good idea, especially for peace of mind.
stacyk - anytime you feel uncomfortable with a doctors decision get a second opinion. During my diagnosis of breast cancer I got a seond opinion at every step starting with my mamo and ultrasound. My insurance was very good at coving all those second opinions also.

Montana girl - I saw my surgeon and he said he was open all of September. For some reason I can't bring myself to make the appointment. No not for some reason. I am scared to death. As you know I have these dam_ panic/anxiety attacks that I can't control so just thinking about another surgry sends me into a panic. Doctor said he would get me very relaxed and that my husband could stay with me until I get to sleep. I wish this fear would go away. I cried most of yesterday because I want so bad to do this but I am such a chicken. I believe if I did not have kids it may be easier. Heaven forbid anything happen during surgery. The stupid thing that keeps going through my head is being orphaned and remembering how angry I was at my mother for not being there. Would my children feel this way about me if something were to happen?  I know this sounds unbelievably stupid. Just my thoughts. I do however get really excitied about having new boobs but that feeling doesn't last long. I also try to think how many in Hollywood have facelifts, boob jobs, lipo and you never hear anything about them having complications. I'll keep you posted.
Hey everyone!  Well, I got a mammogram  and ultrasound today.  Wow, I wasn't expecting the mam. to hurt so much.  I already have a 3 inch bruise from it.  I really was not too concerned about the lump until the ultrasound.  They kind of made a big deal about the blood flow to the lump.  It seemed to be alot.  Should I be concerned?  Also, I have noticed that my breast has gotten larger in the past 2 weeks.  Is that a concern?  I havn't noticed anyone posting anything like that.  I am 36.  No history of cancer.  I am supposed to have a byopsy on Monday.  What do you think?
I'm really sorry you have to deal with the panic attacks in addition to everything else. You don't need ANY more stress. But, you are waaaaaaay too strong a fighter to leave your husband and children behind. You are going to get through this and be ok. Is there any chance you can schedule an appointment just a few days away so you don't have so long to stress over it?
I've never gotten a bruise from a mammogram, and I've had a lot of them. Sounds like they were squeezing awfully tight. My techs always ask how I'm doing and if it's too tight. (I do a lot of business there, lol, so I guess they want me to come back.) I'm not very familiar with your symptoms so I can't be of much help. I imagine bloodflow to a lump could mean a lot more bleeding in a biopsy. I would be sure to tell them on Monday that your breast has gotten larger. I hope your proceedure goes well. I'll pray for you.
susu4u I am not sure if cyst have blood flowing to them. I have friend that have extremely large breast that say they have bruised. Anytime there is a lump they want to get the best views possible by squeezing as hard as possible. They really put mine through the ringer though they did not bruise. You can go to breastcancer.org for lots of help from ladies that may know. They are changing their site and it is harder for me to manuver around but you use to go there click on community support and join the discussion board. Scan through the topics until you find where you may want to post your questions. You will usually get responses very quickly.

Montana - Thats is a good idea. I woke this morning so tired of worring about the surgery I decided Monday just to schedule it and get it over with. Maybe this is what I need, to be exhuasted from worring about it. Just to get it over with. I can always back out right. Just kidding. The surgeon does have small kids and I do like him more this visit than when I saw him a year ago. He was more patient. I had explained to his nurse about my attacks so he explained things in more detail so I would no what to expect.  He also said he and his nurse (which I met also and liked) would stay with me every step of the way. He said he will be drawing on me for about 45 minutes and I could not have anything for nerves then because he needs me upright and not all droopy and falling over. Sounds fun right? You know when you have a masectomy you can't use that side for blood pressure or blood draws so I wonder how they put in all those fluids and meds? Reckon it all goes in one arm now? I'll (or someone) will let you know once I schedule this I do want it to go fast. I told them once I get to the hospital I want this to go fast so I don't have time to think about it. During pre-op for my masectomy I laid there for hours because they got behind shcedule. It is a 2-2 1/2 hour procedure and couple of hours in recovery then I get to come home so I am excited about not having to stay in the hospital.
I also wanted to warn you of someone posting on some forums (I want call names). They get a kick out of fitting in here and there with supposied biopsies and numerous other problems only to not post back or string out these long can't get no answer, can't get know answer from the doctors type post. They say they are Christian, they pray and prey if you know what I mean. I don't understand how anyone gets there kicks from watching others suffer or wanting to play Gods assistant. Just thought I would give you heads ups. You seem smart (I guess that goes with your teaching territory) and have probaly already seen the post. Chat more later.
I am happy to hear of your decision. I know what you mean about the panic feelings as I have been experiencing them since the summer. I have decided to seek that help of a counselor who I hope can help me work through my fears of anything that has to do with the medical profession. For you, I think that having the surgery will help to ease you mind and perhaps allow you to move on. By that, I do not mean that it will erase the last year, but it might give you some peace of mind. I think of you and Montana girl and keep you both in my prayers.
I look forward to your posts from both of you to hear how you're doing. I hope a counselor can help with your anxiety. I recently read an article in a Prevention magazine about hypnosis and the many ways it can help. It can relieve pain, cutting down on hospital recovery, amount of medication and overall recouperation. A few years ago I would have laughed at that. But, I'm learning there are some great benefits in alternative medicine. It's important to find a well-trained and qualified person, of course. I have a number of food and outdoor allergies. After shots, sub-lingual drops, trying to stay away from the foods, etc. I got fed up and decided to try accupressure. I can't believe how much better I feel. No more stomach aches or cough from milk products (which was my worst problem.) No more feeling so hungry I felt nauseus. I also had an accupressure treatment for hot flashes and night sweats which made me miserable this summer. I have had only mildly warm feelings since then. I laughed at the first treatment because it seemed so strange. I consider myself a very sensible person, and just couldn't believe it could help (even though 2 friends vouched for it.) I don't know that alternative medicine helps everyone, but neither does western medicine. Anyway, it's just a thought. Boninclyde - I'm sure I know what posts your speaking of. Are you suspicious they are bogus or do you know more about them and know they're bogus?
I hope you get your surgery scheduled quickly and get this over with. I will keep praying.
I thought more about your previous comment. From following the ladies on the other thread, I think they have real breast problems and I don't think their long, drawn out stories are made up. One gal referred to blogging at this site. I think some of the ladies just use that thread to blog about everything happening in their life rather than just breast problems.
My sonogram/ultrasound states that :
1.distinct hypoechoic masses at 1 & 10 o'clock positions(left) and at retroereolar area & 8 o'clock position(right);measurements range from 4.0mm to 7.00mm. Margins are well defined but could not ascertained whether these are solid or cystic in nature due to lack of distinguishing characteristics.

2.simple cyst at 10'oclock position(right) with diameter of 13.9mm.Walls are distinct with no evident irregularity or solid component.
No features suspicious for malignancy seen.

How's my condition? Is it alarming/big? Do I have to undergo surgery to remove these?
Pls. help...Thanks.

Gracia

I''m no medical professional, but I do have cysts and fibroadenomas.  It sounds from the report that they consider all of the masses to be benign. If they are sure they are benign they may just recommend a clinical breast exam and mammogram every 6 months or year. That's what I do. But, I also insist on an ultrasound once a year since several of my masses are deep and only 2 of them can be felt. There are other doctors who say every lump needs to be biopsied. The problem is that those of us with fibrocystic breast have so many it would be quite an ordeal to biopsy all of them. What is the birad rating listed on your report? Also, what did the doctor and/or radiologist recommend?
My birad rating is 3-probably benign finding;short interval follow up suggested.
My doctor advised me to have my sonogram done every 6 months to monitor these cysts
If they gave it a birad 3 they must be pretty comfortable with the benign diagnosis. It is very important to do your 6 month follow-ups and regular breast exams so you can detect any  change. I know it really bothers some women to just monitor lumps, but unnecessary biopsies can also cause problems.
About 5 months ago I was carrying an empty coffee pot to the sink, I had the worst ever right breast pain that put me to the ground. I did self breast exam and found a very sore lump almost under my nipple, the pain went all the way to my arm. at the time i did not have insurance, i waited until the breast was so sore I could not even touch it and I could not stretch the arm over the head with out pain, I went to the dr. as a cash pay. They did a mam. and us, they said at the time it was not cancer( I have had uterine cancer before), but I did have breast desease and I should keep an eye on it.They also told me to reduce my caffine intake (boy was that hard- but did not work).I did not go back to the reg dr because I could not afford it, so he did not get to talk to me about the results.  Over the months I have had pain come and go, it does still hurt( around my nipple) to raise my arm over my head. Well about 3 days ago my breast hurt so bad, I did my exam to see what was going on, the lump was the same size (i think), but was easier to find. I am very afaid of what is going on, I am afraid to tell my husband that my breast hurts again, although I have insurance now. I have also noticed that my right breast looks diffently shaped and the nipple is in a way diffenet place and it sticks up instead of out. Any insight of me over reacting????
I have had lumps change position and move closer to the surface. I had one lump biopsied (benign)and they consider my other lumps benign, also. I'm telling you this to reassure you that most of these lumps turn out ok. But the fact that your lump and breast changed means you need to get it checked out because as you know, some lumps are malignant. The doctor might feel a clinical breast exam is sufficient, or she might recommend mammogram and ultrasound. I hope all goes well.