Breast Cancer Community
Lump in armpit for years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump in armpit for years

I have a quarter size lump in my armpit and I am breastfeeding, but I am positive it is not there because my milk is backed up. It has been since I was pregnant with my second child, now my third child is 8 months old (I have breastfed all of them) and it is still there. It is not painful, but it does seem to have been getting bigger lately. Any ideas on what this could be?

lumpy
Hi.  
The lump in your armpit which has been there for years,should not be a cause to worry too much...It could be a lymph node, and the fact that it's been around for a long time implies that most probably it isn't malignant.
However,I think that the right thing to do, is to have your physician examine you and also order a mammogram or an ultrasound so that the lump can be examined more closely.
If there is any suspicion seen on these tests,then you may need to have a biopsy.It's only by having some investigation done,that you will know for sure what you are dealing with.
Take care and best wishes...
Thanks so much for your input. I think I will have it checked soon.

Take care!