Breast Cancer Community
Lump in middle of armpit- Terrified!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump in middle of armpit- Terrified!

Ok, so I'm 22 years old.  I shaved my armpits about 3 days ago. Today they were very itchy. As I was scratching, I felt a lump right in the middle of my armpit. It's about the size of a pea. It does not hurt, not even when I touch it. When I graze my fingertip across it, even just barely, I can feel it. What could this be? Cancer? What should I do? I checked myself and there are no lumps anywhere else near my breasts. Also, I have been having a metal like taste in my mouth for the last few days. Could the two things be related somehow?

With the metal taste, I have brushed and used mouthwash, flossed, everything I can think of...still confused about it.
1 Comment

The lump that you feel is most probably an axillary lymph node. These are known to enlarge secondary to shaving, waxing, using a new deodorant, due to infection or inflammation, etc.

So, in your case it must be due to the shaving. You need not panic as the chances of this being breast cancer are minimal.

Use some warm compresses and do not shave, wax or use a deodorant for a few days - the lump should resolve on  its own.

If it still persists, you would need to see your doctor for a clinical evaluation.

It does not look like the lump and the metallic taste are related.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Regards.