Breast Cancer Community
Lump under arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lump under arm

My mother  had a biopsy about two months ago and the pathology report notes that the axillary mass( a firm gray white mass 10 cm C/S solid gray white, Under the microscopic result: FibrousFibrous dysplasia stroma infiltrated by atypicalAtypical pneumonia cells forming, papillae, glands, solid sheets. Moderate amount of mitosis seen. Axilla-Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.
My firstFirst progesterone mc10  question is, is there any way to conclude that this is breast cancer?
If it is breast cancer, does it not start in the breast and in this case it the cyst started under her arm and am a bit confused if it is breast or other type of cancer?
The doctors had done mamogram (mammogram) (mammogram) and ultrasound but found no cancer in her breast nor in any other organ. Secondly, approximately what stage of breast cancer would be estimated from the pathology report?
She has started chemo and am not sure if it is the best treatment? shouldnt surgery to remove the lump been made before chemo since it is atypical cell?
Thank you  for your time to answer my questions
1 Comment
I am sorry that your mother has been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. I can imagine how worried you must be, especially being so far away, and unable to attend medical appointments with her and get your questions answered.  However, most of your questions, as they relate specifically to her case (such as staging), can only be answered by her doctors, who would have all of the pertinent information.

On a more general level, chemo (which would then be classified as neo-adjuvant chemotherapy) is sometimes given prior to surgery, especially in the case of larger masses, in an attempt to reduce their size before surgery. This also has the benefit of getting some systemic treatment going early on (to work again any possible micro invasions) and can provide some feedback about the effectiveness of the chemo agent (according to shrinkage of the tumor).

As to your question about whether or not she has breast cancer, that again would be a call for her doctors to make. However, I have heard of cases of "silent breast cancer," where a primary breast lesion was not able to be located, either because it was so small or was theorized to have have "died off" after malignant cells escaped from it and became established in the axillary nodes.

Best wishes to both you and your mother during this difficult time...