Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump under armpit and lump above breast in pectoral muscle

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I am 27 yrs old and I 1st discovered a lump on my pectoral muscle above the breast, there is also swelling and tenderness in this area.  When I went to the Dr she noticed a lump under my arm on the side of my breast.  I got a diagnostic mamogram (mammogram) and ultrasound done.  The radiologist could not find my lumph nodes whatsoever on the side where my lump is, and he also could not find the lump on the mamo or ultrasound even though it is palable.  Also stated that everything else looked normal except for dense breast tissue but wanted me to get a biopsy of the lumps.  I am very nervous and I still don't go to the initial breast surgeon for 3 weeks.  The area is still sore and the lump has not gone away.  I quit drinking caffiene in an attempt to see if this was the problem.  Also I quit going to the tanner as the area where the lump is was not getting pigment.  Does this sound like cancer or more just routine testing to make sure?   I am very scared cancer in my family is VERY common.  My mom died at 44 of lung cancer, Aunt at 61 of breast cancer, grandpa 67 of lymphoma and my uncle is a testicular cancer survivor (diagnosed at 32)
  • lump (1 replies):
    i had a ultrasound done on my left breast b/c of a lump ...[more]
  • New lump (3 replies):
    November last year a lump was discovered on my left brea...[more]
  • Papable Lump (2 replies):
    Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm 28 years old. I recently ha...[more]
  • breast lump (1 replies):
    I'm a 33 year old female, and found a breast lump about ...[more]
  • breast lump (1 replies):
    I went to see my doctor because I have pain in my left b...[more]
Dear aleversey:  Lumps such as the one you describe could be many possible things.  The general rule of thumb with a new palpable lump is that further investigation should be done.  In this case, the mammogram and ultrasound was not helpful so the only way to determine what this may be might be biopsy.  You might call the surgeon and see if they can move your appointment up just so you don’t have to wait so long given your worry.