Breast Cancer Community
Lumpectomy and rib pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lumpectomy and rib pain

I recently had a lumpectomy and sentinel node removed!  I have had no further treatment to date, but I have severe pain in my ribs that feel like they have been bruised, but there is no signs of bruising.  Has anyone experienced this and know what may be causing this?
I suppose it could be most anything but one possibility is some nerve damage that occured during the surgery. This does happen at times and is something that can't be helped or even predicted. It may lessen in time ... you don't say how long ago you had the lumpectomy. If this happened immediately after your procedure it might even be some tissue bruising deep inside again as a result of the surgery. If it continues you need to discuss this in detail with your Surgeon.  Regards ....
Surgery was December12
Grade 3, estrogen receptor positive
Clear margins
Since it's only been one month since your surgery I think it will take quite a bit more time for these symptoms to disappear if they are a result of the surgery. This really sounds the most likely cause and it would definitely require more time for nerves to recover from any damage that may have been done and for complete healing to take place. I would think that by this time you would have had a consult with the Oncologist and if not I would definitely request one as soon as possible. Regards
Yes, I was told that I would need to see an Oncologist and the surgeons office has forwarded paperwork, but no one has called to make an appointment and when I called them, they said the nurses had to review the paperwork before an appointment could be made!

I'm scared to death after reading the Path reports!  Never once suspected that the tumor was such a high grade.  And as of today, no one has given me a "stage"!

Waiting is terrible!
Everyone would agree with you about the "waiting" .. it's the worst! If there was lymph node involvement of course your treatment will consist of several types. ER positive tumors are considered to be less aggressive. However you can you'll have to get used to the terrible "waiting" ... there will be more of that as you start along this journey but we have all done it and somehow have survived it ... I believe we are all stronger for the experience too and I will also say that many of us surprised ourselves by our strength throughout. We'll be waiting for more details when you see the Oncologist and know more about your treatment program. In the meantime try to relax a little and don't get your thinking ahead of what is going on at the moment.  Take care .....