Breast Cancer Community
Lumpectomy candidate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lumpectomy candidate?

My 41 year old wife was just diagnosed with breast cancer. The lump sits under her breast, almost on the rib cage and it is under 1 cm. Lab tests say invasive ductal carcioma, estrogen Progesterone positive. We haven't spoken to the surgeon  yet (records in the process of being transferred), but we have been trying to figure out if she can get a lumpectomy or, due to the location of the cancer, she would have to get a mastecomy?
1 Comment
Sorry to hear that your wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer.:(
In general, both lumpectomy and mastectomy are acceptable treatments.Many women and Breast Surgeon lean toward the lesser surgery since the outcome is similar.However,if your wife is more comfortable with the mastectomy approach,she should discuss this option with her Surgeon ,who has all her medical records and will certainly guide her on what is best for her.If her Surgeon leaves it up to your wife to decide, then it will ultimately be your wife's choice and hers alone.
Best wishes to both you and your wife.

P.S. I noticed that you have posted before in this Forum.Please,if you have any additional questions or comments,it would be better if you keep them on the same thread.This helps to have all your information together so we can better help you.
Thank you.