Breast Cancer Expert Forum
LumpsLumpsLumps

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

LumpsLumpsLumps

Three nights ago I felt a slight lump between my left breast and armpit. When I woke up yesterday it was much larger, hurt, and was red and inflammed. I went to my OBGYN and she said it was an infected lymph node on the edge of my breast muscle. Gave me Keflex. I have taken 3 then this morning woke up with 3 more lumps. One more under that arm and 2 under the other. I called my husband and he had 2 that had just appeared under his left armpit. I called back to my OBGYN she told me to call my Surgeon (who removed a lump from my right breast 4 years ago). The Surgeon said it wasn't her to contact because it was probably an infected hair folicle (which I disagreed with b/c I have had one of those and it isn't the same) she told me to call a plastic surgeon. I didn't know one so I called my dermitoligist. I have an appointment for Friday at 8:30. I am still nerveous till then.  Please help ease my mind.
Thanks,
Lump girl
Dear LumpsLumpsLumps:  From your description, this sounds more like an infectious process than cancer.  However, you may need a biopsy just to determine what it is.  A surgeon would be the appropriate specialist if a biopsy is indicated.
Forgot to mention that this morning my husband woke up with 2 lumps under his left arm that look similar to mine.  I know that your first thought would be that we got bit by something or that we are allergic to something new but I truly don't believe that is it.  The lumps don't have a spot in the center to indicate a bite and we have not tried any new detergent or soap lately that we could be allergic to.