Breast Cancer Community
Lymph Node Swelling
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lymph Node Swelling

I have a lumpectomy done on 11/23/2007 and the tumor is cancerous.  The surgeon then said that I had to do a Auxillary Lymph Node Disection Surgery to check the lymp nodes for cancer.  In my country, this surgery is not done at the same time of the lumpectomy.  It has been 2 mths and I have not yet done the ALND.  There were not signs of lymph node activity until about 3wks ago when another Dr felt swelling.  I had a breast MRI and the lymph node showed suspecious on it.  The Breast Surgeron has scheduled a Bi-sentinel Lymph Node Discection first and then may follow with the ALND if necessary.  Finally, my question:  can the swelling/lump feeling on this lymp node be as a direct result of the lumpectomy? Or, is this a sure sign that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes?