Breast Cancer Community
Lymph Nodes & Menstrual Cycle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Lymph Nodes & Menstrual Cycle

I have heard different things about having swollen lymph nodes during your menstrual cycle.  They are very common in premenopausal women (I am 37) and that they go away by the END of your menstrual cycle.  Now, what do they mean by the END?  Do they mean when your full 3 weeks of the menstrual cycle is over when you start bleeding or do they mean when the bleeding ends and you are starting all over again?  I would like to know so I know when to check my swollen lymph node(s).  I am on birth control and my period is due to start in about 2 weeks.
1 Comment
The first day of your menstrual cycle is the first day of menstrual bleeding. So the end of the cycle, in medical understanding, would be the period of time prior to the next onset of menstruation.

However, some lay people, in discussing these matters, could be referring to the end of menstrual bleeding as "the end of their cycle."

Since you didn't indicate WHERE  you " heard different things about having swollen lymph nodes during your menstrual cycle," it would be difficult to say which meaning pertains. If possible, check back with the sources that provided the information for clarification.