Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lymph Nodes in Breast After Mammogram and Ultrasound

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hi, during a routine breast exam, I located a lump that was in the 8-9 o'clock position.  It was pea-sized.  I watched it over the last couple of months and it didn't change size, but two of my aunts on my mothers' side have had breast cancer, so I decided I needed to get it checked out.  

I had a regular breast exam and pap smear, with my physician also finding the lump.  She recommended me to have a mammogram.  I went to a clinic in Rochester, NY that specializes in Breast Cancer...that was yesterday.  After many different views of my breasts with the mammogram, the doctor also did an ultrasound.  She said that they were just lymph nodes - as a matter of fact, there wasn't just the one I had found, there were two.  They measured and they were either .71 or .9 something...not exactly sure.  She said that she'd like to see me back in four months.  I'm sure that they are monitoring the size of these nodes, but my question is:

What does this mean?  Is this a precursor of possible breast cancer?  I know that unless the nodes get to be 2cm, generally there is no concern, which mine are definitely under that size, right now.  Generally, mammograms are yearly, so I am somewhat concerned as to the four month checkup.  Would someone please explain what causes these nodes to be noticed?  And, should I be concerned at all?  The doctor didn't seem to be very concerned.  I have no infection that I am aware of, and really haven't been ill...although I also have fibromyalgia that I have been treating with an herbal tea - calendula.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Dear flowerchild_krr, Lymph nodes are located throughout our bodys, some are closer to the surface and can sometimes be felt, particularly if a person is thin. This is common in the neck, armpits, or groin. Another time that lymph nodes can be felt is if there has been an infection.  The decision to recheck sooner may be to keep a little closer check to be on the safe side.  In the meantime if you notice a change, that this is getting larger, let your doctor know.

But there hasn't been any infection...that's why I wanted to know more.  I know we have many lymph nodes...I wanted to know what else would trigger this since there hasn't been an infection.
I'm in a similar situation myself. A baseline mammogram showed 2 tiny "orbs" right next to each other. The radiologist couldn't say with 100% certainty that they were lymph nodes, although they were near the axillary region and had benign characteristics. I am to have a follow up mammogram in 6 months.

I have a lymph node in the armpit region that is pea-sized and always palpable. I'm not sure if this is what is showing on the mammo, but I do know that it is normal for me. Just because you are able to feel your nodes does not necessarily mean they are inflamed. Mine is not; it is always this size in its normal state.

hi flower child. Nto to giive ascare it's best that you do keep a check on it because Min never gave a warning or anything. I was lying on the sofa on night and began to scratch and found alump in my breast went to get ti checked and they found two more two had cancer and one didnt so you have tyo be very careful when dealing with this. because of this I had to have a breast removed. On top of that i had a full historectomy and found cancer in my ovaries. so Im having to take chemo for my ovaries and breast.
A related discussion, I HAD A MAMOGRAM (mammogram) AND A ULTRASOUND was started.
A related discussion, Textural change of uncertain significance was started.
A related discussion, lymph node query was started.
A related discussion, Question on Lymph Nodes in the Breast was started.
A related discussion, Lymph nodes was started.