Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lymph Nodes on Diagnostic Mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lymph Nodes on Diagnostic Mammogram

Hello! I recently had my first mammogram on Feb. 23rd. I am 39yr old.  One week later, I get a call from my doc that I will need to have 2nd views as there are some "items" that showed up on my right breast.

I had the diagnostic mammogram on March 9th and all the technician said was "well, it looks like they could be lymph nodes". What does this mean? Would lymph nodes show up on a diagnostic mammogram??  I'm sitting and waiting for my doctor to call me w/the report -- and I am a little concerned.

Thanks!
Dear chrys:  Lymph nodes are present throughout our bodies and although most of the time their presence is documented in the armpit (in terms of breast association), they can be present within the breast tissue as well. If this is the source of the "items" and there is nothing abnormal about their appearance, it is probably nothing to worry about.
lymph nodes nearly always show on a mammogram: questions arise if they are in unusual locations (usually they are just in the armpit, but can often be within the breast itself) or of unusual size or shape. When additional views are taken, better assessemnt can be gained; there are some ways to be quite sure it's a lymph node and of no further significance. For example, if the center looks like fatty tissue, that's a good sign of an innocent node.
Thank you for the reply -- I spoke with my doctor, who just rec'vd the results and she said that the mammogram was normal.

I guess I'm still concerned, but they feel everything is ok. I wonder if I need a 2nd opinion or just take their words that all is alright?

Thanks for everything! Chrys