Breast Cancer Community
Lymph nodes near collar bone and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I have several "reactive" palpable ymph nodes above my collar bone that have been there for more than 6 months. They dont change much in size but I do feel a few more since I found the first one. I also had one near my shoulder for a few weeks but it has since disappeared. My oncologist doesnt seem worried about them since they are so small and not changing, but it doesnt seem normal.

Is it odd to even have reactive nodes in that location in the first place? Or is it rare?? Could it be caused by having BC and could it be a sign of something else??
1 Comment
Hi.
Reactive lymph nodes can also appear near the collarbone.  When there is a lung problem (an infection or malignancy), the lymph nodes in the collarbone (supraclavicular area) may become enlarged and can be easily palpated.  The flow of lymphatic drainage of the problem site will dictate which lymph nodes would enlarge.
Without biopsy, it will be hard to tell if the lymph nodes are secondary to a benign condition or not.  You may opt to continue surveillance and see if there will be progressive increase in number of the enlarged lymph nodes or increase in the size of the previously enlarged lymph nodes.
Good luck.
Hi did you find out why your nodes had swelled i have the same problem for nearly two years just wondering how you got on thanks