Breast Cancer Expert Forum
MALE NIPPLE SENSITIVITY-- CANCER PRECURSOR?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I am a 32 year old white male. For about a month I have had bilateral nipple sensitivity, to the point it was almost painful. The pain has subsided somewhat, but they are still sensitive. I did an exam, and cannot detect lumps, although I have a "ridge" in the exact same place on either side, but it feels like it may be a muscle or on the breast bone. The pain started at the same time for both nipples. It is focused in the nipples. There is no discharge. No trauma or unusual activities. I am a larger man and do not know if this could be the cause or not. Is this a possible precursor I should be concerned about? Any info is appreciated.

dan
Dear Dannyboy69, There could be a number of reasons for nipple sensitivity, possibly irritation from clothing?  It is hard to say.  But this is not a usual symptom of breast cancer or precursor to breast cancer.  A painless lump is the most common symptom of breast cancer. A history and physical exam would be needed to thoroughly evaluate for the cause of the pain.  

Male breast cancer is rare, but one out of every 150 cases of breast cancer involves a man, usually in men over 60 years old.
A related discussion, nipple sensitvity was started.