Breast Cancer Expert Forum
MORE Fibroid Adenomas?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

MORE Fibroid Adenomas?

I'm 25, married with out children. I had my first Fibroid Adenoma removed at 18. Then two years later, I had three more removed from my other breast. Here I am, 25 with 4 more solid masses in my left breast (last ultrasound May 2006 led Dr. to believe that they were the same thing. I opted to just "wait and see") .. last week at my yearly, my Dr. found a few more smaller lumps in my right breast.

Tomorrow I go in for an ultrasound on both breasts and on April 4th I have consulation with a surgeon. *sigh* I hear people tell me, "Oh I have those too.. " and "it is common" ... but I don't know of anyone else who has gone through multiple surgeries.

I'm tried of this.. I'm tired of being scared.. I'm tired of hating my breasts. I'm tired of surgery.

I didn't mean for this to be such a big vent.. I wanted to ask what are the chances of skipping surgery? What biopsy choices are there for solid masses? Does an ultrasound ever really tell the doctor what the lumps might be? or is it just that .. a "might" ?
Dear deauxgirl:  Fibroadenomas are non-malignant (benign) lumps that feel smooth, and round. They can vary from very small to quite large (5cm). Fibroadenomas are usually distinct on a mammogram and ultrasound. Most believe that they grow over a 12 month period and then remain stable. They are most common in women in their teens and early 20's but can happen at any age - although they usually don't occur much after menopause (hormone therapy tricks your body into believing it is premenopausal). Fibroadenomas have even been found in women in their 60's and 70's. If the size is stable and the fibroadenoma is not bothering the woman - there may be no reason to remove it. Fibroadenomas do not increase the risk for breast cancer but it is important to be certain that they are, in fact fibroadenomas. The frequency for examination will depend upon the expert opinion of your doctor, based on your situation. If you are concerned, you could get a second opinion from a breast specialist - if for no other reason than your peace of mind.
I feel your frustration and pain. I too have had multiple biopsies for fibroadenomas and told my doctor yesterday that I don't want to keep going through this pain and scarring. Her response was that I have fibrocystic dense breasts that make it too difficult to tell by mammo/ultra sound/MRI what the growths are without biopsy. Her philosophy is 'it's better to biopsy and catch any problems early than to wait'. She very kindly acknowledged my pain and emotional state and asked that I take some time to get perspective.

If you hang tough, I will too!! : )
i am 24, and am married and have 1 child (boy) i was told that i had fibroids in my breasts when i was 16, and had never had them checked again till a few days ago (friday the 13th, definately unlucky for me!!) it was my mum that told me to go back as i had stabbing pains in the side of my left breast with constant tenderness for the last 8 weeks. my doctor felt the lumps and told me theres a good possibility that i have multipul fibroid adenomas, tumours! she decided that i should go to the hospital for scans to make sure they are benign and not anything more "sinister", i got the appointment through today and am getting the scan in a months time. i'm so scared, one of the lumps is nearly the same size as my breast and i have smaller ones around that one, i'm worried that if they remove it i will lose the size of one breast, but i don't want to leave it as they are becoming more and more painfull, i find it hard to cuddle anyone as it hurts lots more when there is pressure. i'm also worried that because it was such a long time ago that they were checked (8 years) that it could be breast cancer,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I also have multiple fibroadenomas that are tender, but mine don't cause me any pain and we just monitor them. Maybe they could do some type of core biopsy to make sure they are fibroadenomas and relieve your worry of cancer. I don't know what to tell you about the pain. Sure hope you can get some help.
A related discussion, multipal fibaroidanomas was told it was very rare... was started.