Breast Cancer Community
Major duct excision after effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Major duct excision after effects

I just had a major duct excision of the left brest due to bloody nipple discharge that was greenish black in color with pain on and off. Now 5 days later pain is tremendous and breast is getting very firm and now have noticed a brownish yellow large welt like are going from nipple to cleveage of breast it hurts bad there, it looks as if there is something in it, should I worry? I have made appointment for tommorrow for my post op follow up, and am very scared. The doctor told me this was just a precaution since I am not breast feeding anymore to have this done. I though I would feel better. But this is not the case. I have had problems with the lymph nodes in this breast for years swelling up and down, and then recently this weird discarge, he never tested the discharge except with a hemocult card which tested positiv nad then he scheduled this surgey, now this. I just don't want to be cut open again. The boyfreind and I are very concerned about this large spot, it is about 5 inches wide and 2 inches long, shiny, and swollen like and looks as if there is fluid in it, please tell me if anyone has every heard of all this. All the post thus far I have reveiwed for comparison they had milky, yellow or brownish discharge and had testing on the fluid. They didn't do this for me.
Can anyone please tell me something?
I had a bloody nipple discharge and my duct was excised for symptom relief.

By now you would have had feedback from your surgeon.
I was wondering if it were due to an infection.

J
He didn't say anything about an infection at all, The biopsy isn't back yet, which I'm taking as good news. I thought he would have more answers for me though. He said where the spot is which is still very painful and feels as if it is hardening hasn't went away. The doctor says it edema but he didn't work over on that side he said and that wold have nothing to do with the surgery. And the yellowish tint to it would indicate a bruise he says even though i never had a bruise there. He said two of theduck were that greenish black and they were dialated. So he says even though results aren't in I shouldn'y be worried but I AM! my breast is extremely painful even after a week after post surgery. The incision looks great and the pain is where that spot is. Anone have any answers for me?
If it were infected I expect the surgeon would have told you (and you would also know).
The spot could be hard from forming scar tissue, etc and the pain from swelling (that's the edema bit).  Hormones can also cause breast tenderness.
Bruising can form from underlying trauma.

It's natural to be worried and I expect that stress and anxiety are also having an impact on pain levels.

I still have pain from additional breast surgery and that was over five months ago.

If the severity of the pain doesn't decrease soon and you feel the surgeon isn't getting it then perhaps you should follow up with your family doctor.

Post surgery you're usually prescribed pain relief.  Have you been given this and have you taken it and has it made any difference?

The pain could also be from the stitch/es.

I think if the surgeon is OK with things (and you have confidence in your surgeon) then be patient but if things get worse or don't improve then follow up your concerns.

Good luck for your test results.  I hope they bring good news.
In the mean time, please don't stress too much.

Best wishes
J
A related discussion, Breast cyst was started.