Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Male nipple pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Male nipple pain

i am 18 years old and last nite i began feeling pain in my left nipple. it feels rather like a bruise, however, today when i inspected the area i noticed that the area directly underneath the nipple and carrying on past the nipple to the left was an area of firmness and the nipple is more pronounced than usual. i think the skin is free to move over the firm area, but i am not sure. mostly it is not painful intill just the slightest pressure is applied, or the area is stetched. the pain resembles that of a bruise.
i was wondering if anybody had any ideas what this could be. i have booked an appointment with the doctor for as soon as possible just incase.

thank you
Dear bentoudic,  Of concern is that these symptoms are all one-sided, unless some recent injury could explain them, having this check out is not a bad idea.  Male breast cancer is rare, however having your doctor examine you, and ask questions to help determine what you are experiencing makes sense.
Males have breast tissue. It can enlarge; it's not rare for it to happen, and it's extremely rare for it to be serious, especially in an 18 year old. The term is gynecomastia. It can result from certain medications, marijauna use, alcohol use, hormone issues...and in most cases, it just happens and has no identifiable cause. When you get your checkup, be sure the doc examines your testicles: it's rare, but a testicular tumor can make hormones that cause gynecomastia, also. The odds are that at your age, it's nothing serious, and in most cases the symptoms will simmer down eventually. Sometimes, if it continues and is annoying enough, the tissue can be removed with an incision at the edge of the areola, leaving virtually no scar.
I should add that it's not really unusual for gynecomastia to affect one side only.
This is a wierd but true story: About 5 months ago, during a state of arousal with hardened nipples, I injured my left nipple when I accidentally hit it with the motion of my own arm/hand....as I said quite odd...anyhow, since then that nipple has been painful. It comes and goes but happens many times per day and if I touch the nipple, hard or soft, or press into it, it is painful. It's been over 5 months now, and the pain is not subsiding.

I know there are lots of nerve endings in these things, that's the way we're made, but if anyone knows of such a condition or can suggest a course of action, I would appreciate it....just driving a car on a bumpy road is painful!

Thanks!
A related discussion, inquiry was started.