Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram Reading Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mammogram Reading Help

I had a mammogram done and results read. "Predominantly Fat Density" (that sounds so bad, anyone know what it means?) "No suspicious microcalcifications, dominant mass, or architectural distortion is identified in either breast. A few benign calcifications are present in both breasts.  There is a 8mm nodular at the 2:00 position of the left breast 13.4cm from the nipple on the cc projection.  Impression: There is an 8mm nodular density at the 2:00 position left breast. This is almost certainly an intramammary lymph node."

Recommendation: Targeted left breast ultrasound.

All of it sounds bad, not sure what or where to google first.  I did call my doctor as the same report was sent to her and I am waiting on a call back to schedule another appointment. I'm scared out of my mind, this is my first mammogram. I'm 46. No one in my family has had any cancer of any kind - I never saw a mammogram as important or pressing until now. I just kept putting it off and I'm full of regrets now, of my foolishness and letting fear keep me from doing what I should have done years ago.  

My best advice for you: Try not to panic! :-)

You did not say if you were told the BI-RADS category that was given for your mammogram, so I can't say for sure, but nothing in the information you have provided sounds serious. The most important information--and very good news!-- is the comment: "No suspicious microcalcifications, dominant mass, or architectural distortion is identified in either breast."

The comment "Predominantly fat density" appears to be the rating of the composition  of your breasts. Radiologists use the following categories to rate breast density:

1. The breast is almost entirely fat (less than 25% glandular)
2. Scattered fibroglandular densities (25-50%)
3. Heterogeneously dense breast tissue (51-75%)
4. Extremely dense (greater than 75% glandular)

In this case, the lower numbers are advantageous, because extremely dense breast tissue makes it more difficult to detect abnormalities on a mammogram, and therefore untrasound or MRI may be needed to get a clear picture. Very dense breasts may also be associated with a slightly higher risk for breast cancer. You may want to read this previous threat concerning breast density: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/Dense-breasts-and-breast-cancer-risk/show/1612153

The only questionable finding mentioned is the nodule in the left breast, about which the radiologist commented: "This is almost certainly an intramammary lymph node." (Intramammary lymph nodes are normal findings.) The ultrasound was no doubt recommended just to confirm that  impression, esp. since there are no previous imaging studies with which to compare this mammogram in your case.

Don't beat yourself up too much--at least now you have a baseline mammogram  which future mammograms can be compared, and despite the recommended guidelines for mammograms (which have been in flux and can be confusing) some women who post here haven't had a mammogram until they were in there 60s, and fould a palpable lump!  

If everything turns out fine with the ultrasound, which is likely, from now on just be sure to follow your doctors recommendations regarding future screenings, okay?

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

Please don't panic, your mammogram doesn't sound bad at all....Fatty breast tissue appears as a dark grey on mammograms and it's much easier to spot abnormalities.The fact that NO suspicious calcification,  dominant mass, or architectural distortion are seen in either breasts should really put your mind at ease.
Experienced Radiologists are quite able to identify breast lesions and he/she is almost certain that it's a small 8mm Intramammary lymph node.
An Intramammary lymph node is common,normal and means nothing unless it were noted to be abnormally enlarged or looks suspicious on film produced by radiography.
Even an enlarged lymph node doesn't necessarily mean cancer.When there is infection or inflammation somewhere in the body, a lymph node may enlarge in the breast or in the axilla area.
I don't think you have reasons to worry,just go ahead with the Ultrasound and if the results confirms that it's indeed an Intramammary lymph node,then regular screening will be required to make sure that it has not enlarged.
Best wishes...