Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Mammogram Screening Results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Mammogram Screening Results

Mammogram Screening results indicate that  I demonstrate scattered fibroglandular densitites, what is this? Also states that an asymmetric density was noted in the left breast at the retroareolar aspect, what does that mean? Finally it is said that scattered benign calcifications noted bilaterally. Does this mean that I have breast cancer or sometging along the lines of it? If not then what does it mean and what must I do from here, othr then the nxt two tests (Cone compression View and sonogram) and what should I expect? Any help and or answer are greatly apperciated.
Dear lizme66:  Scattered fibroglandular densities means that you have areas of dense breast tissue.  This is very common in young women but can remain in some women even after menopause.  An asymmetric density means that there is something on the mammogram that does not look quite normal.  The usual recommendation is spot mammogram compression and possibly ultrasound.  Often, these will resolve with spot compression as it could be as simple as some overlapping tissue, but a closer look will help to sort this out. Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
First ... microcalcifications are a normal finding within the breast tissue. The fact that they are noted to be scattered is how they normally appear. When they are clustered in certain patterns there is cause for concern. Many of us are called back for additional views. I wouldn't worry just yet; get your additional tests done and let your physician explain the results to you in detail. Be assured that in ordering these additional views that nothing is being left to chance ......
Hi!

I'm going through the same thing right now and have posted my situation on this forum.

First of all, don't be alarmed. I found out that having an abnormal mammogram is not uncommon.

My doctor told me to see a surgeon before having the tests and I took my health into my own hands and am having the tests done first (Feb 20th)

Go have the tests done...........I'm not a medicalprofessional, but I can tell you..don't put the cart before the horse.....if you know what I mean.

When are your cone views and sonogram?

Keep us posted.  

I'm glad that I found this site.........the people are wonderful and can embrace what you're going through.  

Be patient and I'll pray for you.

Have a wonderful week!

A related discussion, scattered fibroglanular densities was started.