Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Mammogram and MRI results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Mammogram and MRI results

Hi, I had a mammogram result of Birads3 in UPPER exterior quadrant of the left breast, measuring 2.3cmX1.3cm and went on 5 days later to have the MRI which reported Birads1 in LOWER exterior quadrant of the left breast measuring 11mmX9mm. Are these 2 different abnormalities or are they referring to the same one. I thought Birads1 meant no abnormal findings whatsoever. The doctor that ordered these tests is still on holiday so would appreciate any information. Should I go for an ultrasonic now and see if that picks up any of the abnormalities? If I do have anything that measures 2.3cm in my breast that shouldnt be there, benign or malignant, I definately want it out.

I live in Spain and it is usual here to be given your radiology report and all tx reports to take with you to the next visit to the doctor - that is why I have them but not yet with an explanation.
Thanks so much for being here to help.
Dear kokisoma:  BIRADs 3 means that more investigation is needed and that the results are indeterminate.  MRI is generally a more sensitive test that can result in many false positive results leading to biopsy.  BIRAD 1 does mean normal in most cases so I am unsure how to interpret.  We recommend you discuss this with your doctor when he returns.
I had my first mammogram at age 36. My results BIRADS 3, 6-month follow-up of right breast only for calcifications  (3 found according to OBGYN) My PROBLEM: Within a month and a half after my mammogram I began experiencing numbness, dullness and extreme discomfort in my right breast. The symptoms are somewhat relieved upon removing my bra.

However the symptoms have never gone away. I am having difficulty sleeping on the right side. I have switched from underwire  to wireless bras thinking this was my issue. But to my dismay it has never resolved what I am feeling 24 hours a day. I have not noticed any appearance changes on my breast, no discharge, inverted nipple or dimpling. Just the numbness and EXTREME, EXTREME discomfort. Please help explain to me what is wrong!!!!!!!!!! Can calcifications in the breast cause these new and unusual symptoms?
A related discussion, Birads 4B biopsy was started.
A related discussion, Lymph node presence was started.