Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram and U/S - different results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mammogram and U/S - different results

I am 35 and had my first mammogram last week.  I got a call less than 24 hrs later that I had a 6mm mass in the upper quadrant of my left breast and they wanted to do an u/s. I had my u/s yesterday and the technician told me that she couldn't see the 6mm mass the mammogram found.  She wasn't supposed to say anything but could tell I was very nervous and thought it would calm my fears - honestly it didn't.  I'm waiting on my doctor to call me today or tomorrow with results and further direction as to what to do next.  Anyone else have this happen?  Should I still be worried or should I feel relieved?
A lump in the breast can be many things and the majority are benign findings.It happens that sometimes a mass will not show on an ultrasound or mammogram or even both.Each test has it's limitations and what it can pick up.Depending on the lump characteristics shown on your mammogram,the radiologist might recommend more testing,or monitor the lump to make sure that no changes occur or some sort of biopsy to see what it is exactly.
I hope that your Doctor will soon let you know what steps should be taken regarding your mammogram results.
Hoping that you won't have to worry about anything.
Best wishes.
Thank you!  I heard back from my doctor on Friday and he would like for me to be referred to see a surgeon for a second opinion.  I have a high risk of breast cancer as well as other cancers from my maternal side of the family, already 5 women have had breast cancer (and survived, thankfully).  I have been referred to a High Risk Breast Clinic.  I am just waiting to hear from them to get my appointment scheduled.  The good news is that my doctor said from the reports it did not look like the typical appearance of cancer but because of my family history he would prefer that I see the specialist so further testing can be done.  
You are welcome and thanks for the update.
Your Doctor is being cautious in asking for an opinion by an experienced breast specialist.This is excellent medical care!! Although your lump looks benign, a Breast Specialist's opinion is always valuable due to your family history of BC.
Hopefully, after more investigation is done ,everything will turn out just fine for you.
My best wishes for benign findings!