Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram and Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mammogram and Ultrasound

I had my annual GYN appointment last week.  Breast exam by doctor normal.  I went for my mammogram and technician said everything seems fine, doctor will get report in a few days.  Today I got a phone call from the radiologist.  In comparing this years mammogram with previous years they noticed a thickening in an area of my right breast.  (the lady on the phone said this could be due to hormones) Instead of waiting another year he wants me to come in for some more pictures where they will spread the tissue to get a better look.  (I think she said a better look behind the tissue?  By that time I was starting to panic).  The picture will be followed up by an ultrasound in case they can't get clear pictures.  I go in in three days.  How much should I worry ahead of time?  Does this happen frequently?  I am 46 and have never had any problems other then having to retake one breast last year right at my regular screening because the technician didn't like the view.  I have a tendency to think the worst of a situation.  Should I be more worried about my blood pressure at this point?:)
Hi Kathy,
A spot compression mammogram is a type of mammogram in which only a small area of the breast is compressed.  
The purpose of a spot compression mammogram is to achieve better imaging of a particular region of the breast.The fact that you are being called back, is very common.Sometimes is just the skin that has folded over on itself causing a density to appear.A spot compression will often smooth out the tissue and the "density" will disappear.
I know that it's very stressing to be called back for additional tests,but try not panic,most often things turn up to be alright and I hope it will be the same for you too.
Please let us know how things are proceeding,and also if you have any additional comment or question,please use the space below the answers you have received.This helps us to keep all your info together. Thank you.
Wishing you all the best and good luck...
Hi, Kathy,
We're almost neighbors here in Michigan-I'm from Willis just osuth of Ypsi and west of Belleville! I just wanted to add that with digital mammograms vs. the film mammograms, call backs for additional views are very common and shouldn't be a reason to be overly concerned. The digital mammograms give such better views of the breast tissue that call backs are much more common and are mainly to clarify a specific area where there is thickening or density or asymetry. As zouzi said, most often the spot compression views will resolve the issue right away, but if they don't there's still no need to panic. The radiologist will recommend short term follow up-usually six months- or if there's reasonable suspicion, a biopsy. Statistically most biopsies come back with benign results, so no need to panic. I'm speaking from personal experience and have had more "scares" than I care to count! These resulted in 3 biopsies of 5 different areas in the last 6 years. Only the last one in '09 showed LCIS, which puts me a high risk and requires follow up every six months. I'm more than happy to do that because IF invasive cancer ever develops, it'll be caught early when it's highly treatable. Try to stay positive and let us know if you have more questions or want to update us. We're thinking of you and hoping for the best. We all hope the additional views will be the end of your concerns!
Hugs,
nc
Just got back from the radiologist.  I'm the proud owner of a 1/4 inch cyst!  I did end up getting an ultrasound which is how they determined it was a cyst.  The technicians were all wonderful.  The guy who did my ultrasound had told me even my "worst case scenario" was still good as it is so tiny.  Fortunately, it was good news.  Thank you both for your kind words.  They did a lot to keep me calm these past few days!!  NC best wishes that all of those scares are behind you!!
Thanks again,
Kathy
Hi and thanks for the update!
Glad to know that the ultrasound determined that it was only a tiny cyst.
Cysts are benign lumps that do not turn into cancer and that's the important thing!.
Wishing you a happy and healthy life free of worries... :)
Hi, Kathy---GREAT news! I'm SO happy to hear it's just a cyst, too! I don't know if your doctor told you or not, but cysts are often effected by hormones and may enlarge at times then shrink down again. I'm just guessing that you're not menopausal yet, so that may be an issue for you. Just something to keep in mind and discuss with your doctor if it becomes an issue for you.
Thanks for your good wishes for me. Unfortunately, the testing and waiting for results every six months is still scarey, but I try keep a positive attitude and not  dwell on it.
What is, is and what will be, will be. I just try to deal with one day at a time and enjoy all the blessings in my life.
I'm hoping all your follow ups will be fine and free of the panic you just felt. Feel free to come back any time with questions and concerns.
Hugs,
nc