Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Mammogram call back

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Mammogram call back

i am 41 years old. I just got a call back to go for a second mammogram/ultrasound. My report from the first mammogram says " The breasts are heterogeneously dense. There are no calicifications. There is no Architectural distortion. There are no masses. There is an indeterminate focal asymmetry seen in the lateral aspect to the nipple in the cc view of the right breast. There is no general assymmetry.
Comparison with a previous mammogram dated 8/03/05 indicates significant change.

What does this all mean? Could significant change be from the fact that I had given birth a year before my first mamogram (mammogram) and breastfed until 6 months before my first mammogram? And then lost weight betweeen the two mamograms? I know my breasts a definitely significantly smaller than they were a year and a half ago.

How concerned should I be at this point? Oh...I should mention that my mom had breast cancer...but apparently not the gene kind?
Dear jojow:  Dense breast tissue can make mammography more difficult to interpret.  Focal asymmetry means that there is an area that does not appear normal as compared to the rest of the tissue.  It means that further investigation, such as a spot compression and/or ultrasound are needed to further characterize the area.  This could be as simple as some tissue folding over on itself in the first mammogram and this will resolve with spot compression.  It is not uncommon to be called back for further evaluation.  It does not necessarily mean cancer.  It just means that further evaluation is needed.