Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mammogram report

I'm quite upset as I sufffer from anxiety, can someone help me?  Here is what the report says:
"The exam was compared back to a mammogram in 2010.  There is a moderate amount of fibroglandular tissue in both breasts but no architectural distortion or discrete breast nodules identified.  There is evidnece of three tiny punctate calcifications clustered in the upper portion of the left breast seen best on the MLO view.  I believe that these were present in retrospect in 2010 and appear unchanged. It would be prudent to obtain a 6 month left MLO mammogram to reassess these three calcifications to confirm their stability.  Otherwise unremarkable.:

I'm not sleeping or eating worrying about this.  6 months is a long time to wait.  Family dr has suggested a breast specialist and appt is in 4 months....still a long time to wait...

The report basically says no abnormalities such as breast nodules (lumps) were detected.

Calcifications are very frequently found in women's breast. Many are completely benign. Calcifications only raise suspicion if they are of certain shapes and in certain patterns.

Three tiny calcifications were seen in your left breast, and the radiologist believes these were present in your previous mammogram  in 2010, and that they are unchanged. Just to be safe, s/he recommended that another mammogram be performed in 6 months, to confirm that they are stable (unchanged). A mammogram such as yours is associaled with A BI-RADS Category 3 rating: Probabaly Benign--Findings that have a high probability of being benign (>98%); six-month short interval follow-up recommended.

If the radiologist felt they were suspicious and might signal some type of underlying malignancy, your mammogram would have received a BI-RADS Category 4 rating, which carries a recommendation for biopsy. And if anything was highy suspicious in your mammogram, it would have received a BI-RADS Category 5 rating.

It's certainly your right to obtain an opinion from a breast specialist, but meanwhile please understand that nothing was seen that would warrant the level of worry (not eating or sleeping) that you are putting yourself through.  

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

Radiologists are able to identify typically benign breast calcifications depending on their form and pattern.If no suspicion is detected a biopsy is not required.The judgment made by the radiologist is based on what he/she sees on the films and when there is no suspicion,the radiologist recommend to watch these calcification carefully with repeat mammograms over time to look for changes and confirm their stability.
Moderate amount of  fibroglandular tissue is a term to describe the tissue in the breast which is a mixture composed of glandular and fatty tissue which is a normal finding.Your report did not mention any abnormalities, such as architectural distortion,or lumps etc.. and it's a good thing.
There is score assigned on your mammogram report, called BIRADS.(Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System).
This system is used by radiologist to categorize how suspicious breast lumps or calcifications are.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the score the more suspicious are the findings .
I guess your BIRADS score is a 3. Meaning that there are no "suspicious" lesions, masses, or calcifications to report, but follow-up is recommended to make sure that no changes have occurred .
It's important to know what your score is.You could call the radiologist to find out about it.
I really wouldn't worry so much if I were you ,because what your radiologist has recommended is standard procedure.If the suspicion about these calcification were more elevated,a biopsy would have certainly been ordered.
If you still feel uncomfortable waiting for a follow up,you could have your films read by another radiologist who has expertise in reading mammograms.Waiting 4 months to see a Breast Surgeon is not too long.I think it's the best thing to do to obtain a second opinion and reassurance.
All the best...

P.S Don't forget to take with you your mammogram films and report,when you'll meet with the Surgeon.