Mammogram results
I just had a mammogram and ultrasound.  My report says:
The breast parenchyma reveals evidence of involution with predominant adipose tissue and linear densities.  there is nodularity in the lower mid left breast, presistent on MLO and CC projection.  
This may represent varying parenchymal pattern.  

CAD did not reveal any suspicious findings.

IMPRESSION: Nodularity, left breast

Breast Ultrasound:  Normal architecture of the breast tissue is evident withour disruption of Cooper's ligaments.  there is no homographic evidence of a discrete cystic or sold lesion in either breast.

Impression:
1) unremarkable breast ultrasound
2) Left breast modularity correspond to ultrasound findings.  Recommend further evaluation with breast mri with contrast.

I am confused as to why they want a MRI when the ultrasound seems clear.  Why not do a biopsy if there is something there? I this normal or should I be concerned.  Also MRI's are expensive and it is the end of the year,  should I wait a couple of weeks since I have to pay my deductable.  Or does it seem to show something I need to have checked sooner then later.
The US report does sound pretty positive.  I don't understand all that is written in the report but I guess the MRI would be to further evaluate the nodules that are visible.  My guess would be that the MRI would be more sensitive.  If the nodes are cancerous then the MRI would help detect those.  I think that cancer cells absorb the contrast faster.
A biopsy is only as good as the tissue that is sampled.
I had a biopsy for microcalcifications in a line and it came back negative.  The pathology report following surgery came back positive for DCIS (pre-cancer).

The process seems robust to me.  If the doctor thinks that you need an MRI, I would have the MRI.

Is the when question something you could ask your doctor?  Two weeks may not make a difference but it is something you should possibly run past your doctor first.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I am calling the Dr today
I guess I don't understand why they want a MRI and not just do a biopsy.
Although the Ultrasound was noted as "unremarkable" you should note that also in the report it is stated that the finding is comparable with the Ultrasound study. These nodularities cannot be defined by only the Mammogram and this is why the need for the Breast MRI which is a more sensitive test. To jump to a biopsy when the picture isn't exactly clear would not be the correct course of action. I don't think the 2 week delay would make any difference in the outcome; there are usually delays in scheduling in any event, especially with the upcoming Holidays.   Regards ...
So it is saying that they saw it in the ultrasound too?  These results are really confusing. Last year they saw a nodule and said I was fine. Now I guess it is still there?  And my Dr said I can wait till January cause its not an emergency. Which kind of makes me feel a little better. Also I have had pain in this breast for a couple of years and was told it was probably a muscle now I wonder about that. All advise is appreciated
I think it means that what they saw on the ultrasound (US) supported what they saw on the mammogram.
The report also says that there are densities present in a line.  From experience this could suggest that they are in a milk duct.  There could be other interpretations but I don't understand a lot of what your report says.  It is significantly different to anything my reports ever said.

The node could be glandular tissue which many people can feel.

I agree.  If your doctor thought that it was urgent he would have suggested that you have the MRI as soon as possible.

The part I do understand, or at least think I understand, is that there are nodes in the lower/ mid part of the left breast.  It's possible that you might be able to feel these yourself.  Not sure.  It also says that these nodes are present on the different views that they took.

Cooper's ligaments are affected when one has cancer.  The report says that yours are OK.  That is good.

I think that the report says that they can't see any evidence of a cyst or a cancerous growth.  Both good news.

Breast pain could be associated with a number of things.  Menstrual cycles, etc.
I don't like the sound of pain and nodes but then I am biased based on my own history.

You're in a difficult situation.  You either meet your financial obligations or have the MRI and get peace of mind.
I would treat what you have as being serious until proven otherwise.  Following the MRI they may very well want you to have a biopsy or to see a surgeon.  They may also find nothing and opt to just follow you up.
There is a process for what you are going through and you need to take it one step at a time.  Let your doctor guide you in the process.  I'm pretty confident that they'll let you know if you need anything.

I'm sorry if I'm not very reassuring.  My radiologist missed my cancer in my mammogram (perhaps mistook it for scar tissue I don't know).  Health professionals don't get it right 100% of the time.

The MRI is the next step.  Take everything from there.
Thank your information was helpful
The waiting is driving me crazy. I go for my MRI January 3rd. Anyone else have opinions on what this is. I got a copy of my mammo and it looks like a bright star thing on the spot compression
Things of this nature are rarely, if ever, an emergency and this is not like a broken bone where you can "see" immediately. There are routine steps that must be followed in order to arrive at the correct diagnosis. The waiting is far from pleasant but necessary. If your team of Physicians has not been able to determine exactly what is going on there is absolutely no way that any of us would even venture a guess over the internet. That's the purpose of all the many types of tests that are available today. Please just try to let things take their normal course and not stress yourself so much by searching for answers that are not yet available. Kindest regards ....
Thank you
I just had my MRI test. There were a few red and yellow spots. Does anyone know what the usually means?  They have read my test but it isn't typed or signed yet so have to wait till monday errr. Going to be a long weekend.
I wouldn't care to comment on whatever spots you say were seen when you had your MRI .... your report will be available soon and you need to discuss that in detail with your prescribing Physician to completely understand the findings as they apply to your particular situation.  Let us know when you have some results. Regards ....