Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram shows dense area in both breasts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Got a call back from doctor - mammogram shows dense areas on both breasts - I don't know how to interpret that. I asked if it was showing anything "bad" and the answer was no, just a dense area on both breasts and a sonogram is needed - I feel sick with fear it is something serious. The tech did seem to not take the kind of time they usually spend getting the right images. My breasts are very small and the techs typically will try several times to position right -  this one didn't, she positioned and then took the picture. I left with a feeling that the images would not be good.... so I asked if what she saw looked good, the reply was only the doctor can read these pictures...... Normally, they show me the pictures from last year and explain what is what. Of course I don't know what the real reason is so I'm extremely worried now.
A density is just that ..... it could be something as simple as some tissue that has folded over on itself ... of some type of mass ... being in both breasts I would doubt cancer as that would be quite rare. I doubt there was any reason for not showing you the films ... this is done in some institutions and not in others and it also has something to do with the Technician and Radiologist. I happen to agree with the Tech. NOT voicing an opinion as she was correct .... Only the Dr. can read the films and should be the ONLY one to inform the patient of any finding. Since an Ultrasound has been ordered there may likely have been nothing definite to tell you.  Regards ...
Thank you for your comment - I appreciate the clarification of what density means. Not having ever heard this term in that connection raises a lot of questions and worries. I hope to put this behind me soon and go on with life as I know it.
I have learned a lot since then. The density turned out to be cluster micro-calcifications and I am scheduled for a biopsy. The hardest part was the "not knowing" now that I know what I am up against I can deal with it a little better - I have come to realize that this is probably going to take a while to get through. I only wish for everyone else who is in my situation that they quickly get their diagnostic mammogram so they know. Most calcifications are benign, especially macro-calcifications, but sometimes cluster micro-calcifications can indicate otherwise. A week ago I didn't even know that there was a difference between Macro and Micro..... but as I read on and understood that Macro was often associated with scar tissue I knew that's not what I had, and started to prepare myself mentally for "this is what needs to happen" rather than "this is all fine and you and nothing further is needed".  One other thing worth mentioning is that the center I went to for the original mammogram was in no hurry to get me back in for a diagnostic so I found another facility - I would strongly recommend to everyone else to do the same if they do not get back in quick enough.