Breast Cancer Community
Mammography and Ultrasound Report Please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Dear people,
here is a mammography and ultrasound report of my 42- year old mother.

Mammography of both sides.

Skin and subcutaneous tissues are normal
Nipple and areolar regions are normal
1) Both the breasts show fatty glandular appearance.
2) Small well defined opacity in lateral quadrant of right breast
3) Few other smaller ill defined opacities in superolateral quadrant, few showing microcalcification.
4) No obvious opacities in left breast
5) Benign calcification also noted in superolateral quadrant of right breast.
6) No evidence of vascular prominence.

Ultrasound Report
1) 4-5 small, hypoechoic ill defined lesions in right inferolateral quadran, few showing calcific specks -? Neoplastic. Largest measuring 12 X 8 mm
2) No obvious continuity noted between the lesions
3) Rest of the both breast parenchyma normal. No ductectasia
4) Small well defined hypoechoic lesion (10 X 7mm) noted in the farlateral region at approximately 9 O' clock position of right breast-? Node
5) Few subcentimeter bilateral axillary nodes with normal morphology

Birads-5

I understand birads-5 means more chances of malignancy. but i think that the radiologists made a mistake.

My mother's family has no history of cancer of any type. She is not a smoker or alcoholic.

I hope she is just having a Benign. How many chances is she having of malignancy.

The radiologist suggested F.N.A.C?

Please help me at the earliest.
     Your mom needs to have the biopsy.  That is the only way to know exactly what was found on the mammogram and ultrasound.  A Birads 5 means that it is highly suggestive of malignancy, but it is not definitive without a biopsy.  A number of Birads 5 readings come back as benign.  That is what we all hope will be the results for your mother.
     Most people who get breast cancer have no family history, are not smokers, and are not drinkers.  So, although those are all good things, they do not remove the possibility of developing breast cancer or any other kind of cancer.  If we understood why some people get cancer and others don't, then perhaps we could eradicate it.  
     Be supportive of your mom during this time and make sure that she gets the biopsy.  Our thoughts are with her for a good outcome.  Please let us know how things turn out.
I think there is a very high chance that your mother does have cancer. It's not only the birad 5 category, but  of other things the radiologist points out in the report. (i.e. 4-5 small, hypoechoic ill defined lesions in right inferolateral quadran, few showing calcific specks -? Neoplastic.)

All I mean to say is that you should probably prepare yourself for other than that 'this may be a mistake.' (even if the results turn out to be benign) Bc is highly treatable these days. I also think the radiologist may be expressing a concern re: 1 or 2 lymph nodes?
A BIRADS 5 score is highly suggestive of malignancy and your Mother should proceed very soon with some type of biopsy. This does not mean that a malignancy is 100% certain but it doesn't indicate that a mistake has been made either. Please encourage her to proceed as recommended; the sooner you get the results, the sooner any treatment that is needed can begin.   Kindest regards ..
One more thing I forgot to say

The lump for which she went to the dotcor is actually a "mobile lump"..

What do you think for that mobile lump.
she also had FNAC test today results will be out till 19th of this month.
Whether a lump is mobile or not depends on the tissues surrounding it. I'm glad you Mother had the biopsy; please let us know the results. We will be here to offer any additional help that you need. Best wishes ..