Breast Cancer Community
Many questions on Titanium Clips?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Many questions on Titanium Clips?

I have been dealing with breast lumps since 2003, surgery biopsy etc. and never once was the titanium clip suggested.   All have been benign, fibriods, cysts, several mds suggest hormonal but cannot be prevented. At any rate for my most recent lump a tianium clip was suggested and based on location I dont want it b/c I will be breast feeding in the near future (not preg yet but plan to soon).  If I was older and child rearing was done sure, but I would still be skeptical of an element that has no real purpose other than for a marker for the radiologist, once a year or to have there as a preventative measure for a series of hypothetical senarios the radiologist suggested to me.
Any good or bad exp. with a titanium clip?
They put the clip in me on monday of this week during the biopsy.  They said it would mark the spot in case I needed more treatment.  Well it turned out cancerous so now before my lumpectomy they are going to go in and take the clip out and put in a wire.  I don't get the logic.  That's one of my questions I'm asking the surgeon at my appt. today.  I'll let you know what he says.
Thank you for your reply and I will look fwd to your follow up.  I am sorry to hear what happened and will put you in my prayers for strength and a fast and safe recovery.  

The good thing is the clip is comming out b/c I spent 2-3 hrs on the net and read several blogs saying women were allergic, it itched under the skin and one women needed it removed and several wanted it removed but the surgeons refused it.  Ask if its a necess. part of the treatment, and what the recourse is if its a problem for you. The medical community doesnt seem to be addressing the problems w/it from what I found, is the wire permanent?  
I assume the wire isn't perm.  That's one question I will ask today.
The titanium chips usually don't cause any problem; they are very small. They are placed for future reference in areas that are biopsied and often difficult to access. The wire localization isn't permanent; only to mark the location of the area for Surgery. It is done in Radiology before the pt. is sent to Surgery for either biopsy or removal of the area of concern.
I had two wires placed in my breast via MRI scan by an Oncology Radiologist prior to my 7/23/08 Lumpectomy; thank goodness they were removed.
Good luck to ya!
Yes I was under the assumption they will take the chip out when they do lumpectomy since the area in question is being removed.  I dont get it either
I had a ultrasound guided core needle biopsy about 5 weeks ago.  Swelling and bruising are gone, but I've been getting sharp, pinching pain once or twice per day in the center of the breast.

I did have 2 titanium clips put in the two biopsy sites.

Tests came back non-cancer, but fibroidadenomas.

Has anyone else who has had this procedure dealt with this on-going pain?  Does it go away eventually?

Thanks!
I had my needle biopsy 2 days ago, the doctor was inserting the clip while telling me about it. I couldn't ly down on the side to sleep because of pain. Could this be caused by the clip. Will I continue to have this kind of pain? Will I be able to breastfeed in the future because of this clip? I'm 31 and still want to have another child....=**
A related discussion, titanium breast biopsy marker/clip was started.