Breast Cancer Community
Mass, cyst, and nodule? I'm too young for this!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Two years ago, I noticed pain in my right breast, since I worked in a hospital, my dr immediately put me in for a breast u/s. From that, I endured 2 hours of mamm testing the same day. I was sent to Genetics due to 2 aunts having passed from breast cancer. I have been returning every 6 months for 18 months. Next week will be my most recent since June of last year. Everyone I have talked to about this suggest I should have a biopsy. In the right breast there is a cyst, with a nodule inside it with dense mass. Has anyone, ever heard of this before. I've tried to do my own research, but cannot find anything on the "frequency" or "outcome" of a cyst with a nodule inside it, it  measures about 1.0 x 0.5 x 0.9 cm in diameter.
FINDINGS
In the right breast at 4 o'clock, 2 cm from the nipple in the area of palpable concern indicated by the patient no discrete sonographic abnormality is seen. Pain of the right breast at 1130, 1.5 cm from the nipple an oval, well-circumscribed anechoic mass is present measuring 1.0 x 0.5 x 1.0 cm similar in size as compared to the prior study.
Within this cyst tiny nodule measuring 0.2 cm is noted, unchanged. The sonographic appearance of the right axilla is unremarkable.

IMPRESSION
Stable appearance of cyst with small nodule in the right breast at 1130, 1.5 cm from nipple.  BI-RADS category 3. Short interval followup with right breast ultrasound is recommended to further confirm stability.
I am not sure,but I guess that the cyst in your breast could be a complicated cyst which contains a good percentage of solid elements within the fluid.
According to your ultrasound report,your radiologist assigned a BIRADS score 3, meaning that the cyst appears to be unchanged, probably benign and there are no suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report, but follow-up is needed to confirm stability.It's rare to have cancer in a cyst,even when it's a complicated one.If cancer was suspected, the cyst walls would  have shown on Ultrasound films, to be thick and irregular and surrounded by dense tissue .
The danger of waiting, statistically speaking, is extremely low,but if you are really worried ,because of your family history of breast cancer,the alternative to waiting for follow up is to have an FNA biopsy so the fluid aspirated can be examined by a pathologist..
You could also ask your doctor to consult with a breast Specialist/Surgeon for a second opinion.
Best wishes..
Hi, thanks for replying. I did see a Breast Specialist, and I was given the option of having a biopsy. One of the f/u u/s did repor mass dense tissue. Guess I will find out soon enough. So, I suppose I will wait, get the results and decide from there. If it is still an option to biopsy, I will probably not do it.