Breast Cancer Community
Mass detected in mammogram. Worried and wondering as I await results of...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mass detected in mammogram. Worried and wondering as I await results of alt. views.

Hello-
I had a mammogram a few weeks back, after having some minor discomfort in my right breast. I had a normal mammogram in January of this year, but when I had some itching and discomfort, i thought it worth going in for a recheck.  It turned out the itching was the result of a skin irritation to a new bra, but I went in anyway.  This is a small imaging center in Los Angeles and I had read only one review that was not a good one. Still, at the time, I had no insurance and had not yet found a doctor since relocating here with my husband in March.  I got a call from the imaging center early last week saying they needed my prior films for comparison.  As to some background: I began menstruating at age 12, my mother had a radical mastectomy in her early 40's after a diagnosis of breast cancer, but she is still living at age 75. I am age 45 now and in 2006, had both core needle and open biopsies down on my right breast as my mammo at that time had detected "microcalcifications".  The surgeon at that time said he woudl have done a biopsy regardless of my family histry, just based on the pattern of the calcifications.  It turned out that there was no cancer and I was thankful for that.  I had mammograms every six months for the next year or two and they were normal up until this last mammogram a few weeks ago. When I went in, they said it was for the right side and that there was "dense fibroglandular tissue on both breasts but on the right a subaerolar (sp?) mass" but no "architectural corruption" or lesions.  All of the sudden I could feel this mass. It is 2.0 x 1.8 cm., by the reading on the report. They took some additional views. THis mass is uncomfortable at times since I am a right side sleeper.  Moreover, I am very worried, since I am not sure of the reputation of the clinic, but there IS something there.  I am not looking for an internet diagnosis here, but am so worried...could it be cysts or mammary ecstasis (again, bad spelling, I know). I am (or was) in the habit of having wine every night with dinner...I have stopped this, but does it make a difference at this point?  I am not hopeless, as whatever it is, is likely caught in time to do something proactive about it.  I am drinking a ton of water and trying to avoid sugar as I have been told that "sugar feeds tumors"--yet I don't know what I have yet....so frustrating this waiting but I saw this site and thought I would pose the questions as to what something this uncomfortable that sprung up so so fast might be other than cancer and any recommendations as to the best place in LA to go for follow-up once I get the results from this clinic.  Also, should I stop taking birth control pills until I know the status of the mass? Thank you for reading my entery on this blog.  Barbara
I notice that you now have 3 duplicate posts, under two similar but different screen names.

Please contact MedHelp for help in combining your accounts, so that all of you information, and our answers, will be in one place.

Thanks!
bb
I was unable to get my password to my barbaraj43 account mailed to me correctly on Friday and so opened an account from work (BarbaraMW), but then the responses from medhelp went to my junk e-mail and I never saw. I finally figured out how to get the password to the BarbaraJ43 account and so posted here. I have seen no replies yet to my initial inquiry on either account.  Please repost to this account, as now that the password situation is cooperating, this will be my primary account. Thanks.
The link above goes directly to your original thread and my answer.

However, if this is the account you now plan to use, I will copy m y answer here for you.

bb

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this worry, esp. not long after  relocating to a new area.

There is, of course, no way  we can  speculate over the Internet regarding what your breast issue might turn out to be, except to say that overall, the majority of lumps turn out to be benign upon biopsy.

However, regardless of the outcome,  I think it's an excellent idea, in view of your family hx,  to severely limit your drinking, if not cut it out entirely. It has been learned that just a few drinks a week might raise breast cancer risk, and alcohol use has also been found to increase the risk for BC recurrence, esp. in women with hormone receptor positive  BC.

Even low levels of alcohol consumption are associated with a significantly increased risk for breast cancer, although the risk remains "quite small," according to a  study recently reported in JAMA .

Compared with women who didn't drink any alcohol, those consuming low amounts — the equivalent of 3 to 6 glasses of wine per week — had a significant, 15% increase in breast cancer risk. The risk rose with the amount of alcohol consumed, and drinking in either early or later adulthood posed increased risk.

Please update us as you learn more about your breast issue--we care!

Wishing you all the best,
bluebutterfly

p.s. I don't think you need to stop your oral contraceptives. Although hormone replacement therapy has been been implicated in raising the risk for BC (combination hormone replacement in particular, has been shown to increase the rate of lobular breast cancer), the same concern has not been associated with oral contraceptives.
Thanks for the p.s. re: oral contraceptive use. The pill I am currently on is Natazia and I believe the prescribing doctor told me it was low estrogen, so that is probably not a bad thing.  Thanks again for the posts! I hope to hear at least re: the radiologist's read of my alt. views today or tomorrow and will keep you posted.