Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Mastectomy Pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Mastectomy Pain

Hello Goodmorning and Thank you for your time!

I had a right modified radical, and left simple mastectomy on Aug. 15th/02. I have great mobility in my right and the pain and tightness in my axillary dissection is fading. My question today concerns pain on the mastectomy site. It only occurs on the right side where the tumour and axillary dissection was. It is dull and sometimes throbbing, and pretty much there throughout the day.

I am still in treatment 4 A/C + 6 Taxotere, I have one more to go. I had a chest x-ray that showed up nothing and my onc doesn't think any other tests are in order.

Do you have any information on Post Mastectomy Syndrome. What other questions or tests can I have done to rule out any problems at this point, and perhaps give myself some peace of mind. What else could be causing pain at this time? I should say that I am Canadian and cannot get PET scans, or pay for any tests at all.

My Doctor offered a medication to stop the pain but I'm worried that I really should be able to feel if something is hurting.

Thanks so much for your time. Ctina

Thank you
Dear Ctina, Mainly evaluation of this pain would begin with questions regarding the onset, duration, character, etc. of the pain as well as any associated symptoms - swelling, redness etc.  A physical examination would also be in order.  Depending on this evaluation further need for other testing would be recommended or not.  It is impossible to determine the cause of the pain without the benefit of the above assessment, but this discomfort can be due to many causes (continuing healing post-mastectomy, scarring causing pulling, infection) and does not mean that the cancer is back.  If the assessment is made and no signs of infection, or other problems, taking medication to relieve the discomfort so you can concentrate on getting through treatment makes sense.
Hi!

Since it's a weekend, I thought you might like to read the following info until the Dr. can respond to your questions:
'cancerlynx.com/mastectomypain.html'
'cancersupportivecare.com/neuropathic.html'

I hope these help!

Take care,
Geral
My mom had a mastechtomy on Nov.26th. Her lympnodes are all clear and did not need radiation or chemo. She is 83 yrs. old and seems to be doing fine, except for having pain. First of all, is there something she could do for the pain besides a pain pill? Second, is she suppose to be on any kind of excercise? She keeps holding her left arm to her chest.<Left breast was removed>Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks, Marty