Breast Cancer Community
Mastectomy and Tram Flap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mastectomy and Tram Flap

Would like to hear from any one who has had immediate reconstruction via tram flap.
Hi there.

TRAM flap reconstruction is usually one of the best procedures for breast reconstruction that can mimic the normal breast configuration and symmetry.  However, the strength of the abdominal muscles can be decreased by as much as 10% and therefore may weaken the abdominal muscles.  I suggest you discuss this in depth with your surgeon regarding the advantages and disadvantages of this procedure and make sure you understand.  I hope your operation goes well.  

Regards and God bless.
Thank you for the information.  I guess I'm feeling a little nervous about the whole thing.  I appreciate your words of kindness.
I chose TRAM flap reconstruction (surgery is scheduled in a month) - but after doing additional research I chose instead to have a DIEP flap reconstruction.  This uses the same tissue as the TRAM, but takes no muscle.  The procedure takes longer - but the potential side effects down the road (loss of muscle strength, herniation of the abdomen) are much less.

The DIEP procedure isn't offered by any plastic surgeon in my city or the whole state for that matter - so I chose to go out of state. I can't tell you my personal results because I haven't had the surgery as yet - but I did a lot of research and decided the DIEP flap was best for me.

I recommend you educate yourself on the different reconstructive techniques.  Many plastic surgeons do not do the TRAM, Free TRAM or DIEP - and they won't necessarily tell you about procedures they don't do.

Good luck to you.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, Pain in abd was started.