Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Mastectomy and lymph node removal

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Mastectomy and lymph node removal

Sir:  Can cancerous cells escape during a mastectomy and lymph node removal?  Also can cancerous cells stay dormant?  Thank you.
Dear Marille:  According to molecular studies, cancer cells can be identified moving within bodies before surgery ever takes place.  Having said that, yes, it is theoretically possible for cancer cells to escape during surgery.  Yes, it is possible for cancer cells to stay dormant, as well.
I do not understand your question.   Cancer cells escape to where?
My husband has breast cancer with many positive lymph nodes.  I believe he has had this for years, he had a lump in his breast which he was repeatedly told by doctors it was nothing.  It is very aggressive.  What I mean I believe the cancer cells have been contained within the lymph nodes and have not escaped out into the blood stream.  His last scans showed nothing, but now that he had surgery, by removing his breast and lymph nodes, I feel cells can escape into the blood stream while having surgery. This basically is a known fact.  I think before surgery they should do radiation first to kill all the cancerous cells so you have a better chance of this not happening.  I don't know, I'm just trying to learn and find some answers.  My husband also had a liver transplant and is unable to do chemo, he is on Arimidex only and had radiation after the fact.  If you can explain it to me any information would be appreciated. He doesn't have much of a chance here, we can only hope for a miracle. Thank you.
Hello Marille,  I am  so sorry your husband has cancer.  I also had cancer and therefore always wondering if it is somewhere else in my body and spreading.  That's  the reason for my question to you.
I had one breast mastectomy and the 8 chemo treatments, and am about half way through radiation.  I have wondered if the cancer cells could be spread further into my body by the surgery.  This is all a mystery to me.  I keep reading this site trying to learn something.  It has been very educational.  Thank you for your reply!