Breast Cancer Community
Mastectomy or Radiation for 80 year old diagnosed with Breast Cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mastectomy or Radiation for 80 year old diagnosed with Breast Cancer

My 80 year old cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer and the doctor wants to do a mastectomy with radiation follow up.  Shoud she go through with removing her breast or should she just get radiation treatments.

This discussion is related to Brest Cancer 91 year old women.
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
Age really doesn't matter the way it did years ago. Certainly with the diagnosis of breast cancer some treatment is a MUST. Your cousin would certainly benefit more from both surgery and radiation. The surgery itself isn't such a big deal as far as trauma and recovery. I would definitely opt for surgery first and then go from there. Although I'm speaking from a medical standpoint, I am also relying on my personal experience.
Blank
I am a 2 year survivor. I believe that a 2nd opinion is always in order.  When I was diagnosed, I was told lumpectomy with radiation or mastectomy (without radiation).   then if there is lymph node involvement chemo.  If there were a lot of lymph nodes, then possibly radiation.  Things change and she is older (I was 51).  I still recommend the 2nd opinion  - if they both agree you can feel more confident.
Blank
My mother is 86. Less than 2 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After 8 months of treatment on Femora (both tumors reacted differently), it was decided she should have a lumpectomy in each breast. Treated afterwards with radiation (mammosite). 2  times a day for 5 days. Everything was going well for three follow up visits over the past 1+ years, but now recent blood work, mammogram and biopsy reveal the cancer has returned. Although it is only the size of a pea, it has been recommended as the only option a mastectomy. She has numerous other health issues (heart, diabetes, pace maker....), is this really recommended for an 86 year old woman who is extremely upset, nervous and scared of surviving the surgery......in 4 days!!.....please offer prayers for Nancy
Blank
739091_tn?1300669627
Sending prayers for Nancy. I believe she will do fine with this surgery. Best to get it "all off".

Gentle hugs and best wishes to you both.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank