Mastectomy or Radiation for 80 year old diagnosed with Breast Cancer
My 80 year old cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer and the doctor wants to do a mastectomy with radiation follow up.  Shoud she go through with removing her breast or should she just get radiation treatments.

This discussion is related to Brest Cancer 91 year old women.
Age really doesn't matter the way it did years ago. Certainly with the diagnosis of breast cancer some treatment is a MUST. Your cousin would certainly benefit more from both surgery and radiation. The surgery itself isn't such a big deal as far as trauma and recovery. I would definitely opt for surgery first and then go from there. Although I'm speaking from a medical standpoint, I am also relying on my personal experience.
I am a 2 year survivor. I believe that a 2nd opinion is always in order.  When I was diagnosed, I was told lumpectomy with radiation or mastectomy (without radiation).   then if there is lymph node involvement chemo.  If there were a lot of lymph nodes, then possibly radiation.  Things change and she is older (I was 51).  I still recommend the 2nd opinion  - if they both agree you can feel more confident.
My mother is 86. Less than 2 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After 8 months of treatment on Femora (both tumors reacted differently), it was decided she should have a lumpectomy in each breast. Treated afterwards with radiation (mammosite). 2  times a day for 5 days. Everything was going well for three follow up visits over the past 1+ years, but now recent blood work, mammogram and biopsy reveal the cancer has returned. Although it is only the size of a pea, it has been recommended as the only option a mastectomy. She has numerous other health issues (heart, diabetes, pace maker....), is this really recommended for an 86 year old woman who is extremely upset, nervous and scared of surviving the surgery......in 4 days!!.....please offer prayers for Nancy
Sending prayers for Nancy. I believe she will do fine with this surgery. Best to get it "all off".

Gentle hugs and best wishes to you both.