Breast Cancer Community
Mastectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mastectomy

How many hours of surgery does a bilteral mastectomy require?
My double mastectomy was May 17th and tissue expanders placed then.  I was told that my recovery would be 6 weeks.  Every morning upon waking, I feel better, looser, and more flexible!  I am expected to go back to work in 2 weeks (June 28th).   Be sure you are exercising and stretching your upper muscles daily.   I still have to go thru radiation after my tissue expansion.....A positive attitude will help in your recovery!   Feel free to send me a private message!  
A couple to few depending on your size and if there is a fellow or resident doing the other side. If you are also having reconstruction, than add time. You won't know how long, as they will not give you the wake up medicine untill they are done.
I recently had this done, and surgery with immediate reconstruction took 4 hours.  
I am scheduled for surgery June 24th.  I was diagnosed with Stage 1 DCIS, had a lumpectomy on May 27th . The pathology report came back that the margin of tissue that was removed showed microscopic DCIS in 2 different places.  You said you had this operation recently..how long for recovery.  I am not having reconstruction at this time.  Thanks for your help.  I was devasted at first but now I have come to terms with this and just want it over and go on from here.  
Hi there. We seem to have similar situation - though am going to have reconstruction. Were you recommended to  have double masc or have you opted for it ? Good luck with it
My first mastectomy took a couple of hours. My second mastectomy came with immediate DIEP reconstruction (tummy tissue transfer NO MUSCLE taken) of both breasts and that entire surgery took 6 hours with Dr. Dellacroce in New Orleans. Very satisfied with the results. I'm a year out from that surgery and am doing wonderful!
Barbara, I will be having a double mastectomy on Aug. 5.  I was diagnosed w/DCIS of the right breast May 19 after an excisional biopsy.  For several reasons (it was comedo type, less than 1mm from the margin in two places, my breast tissue is very dense and mammograms are tough to interpret, I have had several other breast biopsies for benign tumors and my right breast is practically whittled down to nothing, and my age), my surgeon suggested a mastectomy, even to consider a bilateral.  So, I decided to go with a bilateral.  Both Sue and RTRM321 have been so helpful along the way.  I will be having immediate reconstruction with expanders and then a final implant down the road.  Please feel free to send me a message, and I would love to follow the process with you.  Like you, I have a ton of questions, and RTRM321 has been so helpful in letting me know how she's doing, giving good advice, etc...  I would love to also be able to be there for you along the way and hear how you're doing as you recover!  Good luck, I know you'll do great--you seem to have a great attitude!
I am trying to have a really good attitude by keeping busy.  I enjoy cooking so I have been doing lots of that.  Next weekend I am going to make some dishes for the freezer.
My breast is still sore from the lumpectomy, but my surgeon said that is OK for the mastectomy.  I decided to have both because of the calcifications in the right one.  I      will keep you informed on how I am doing.  I was supposed to have surgery June 17th but my surgeons assistant will be out of town, so it was pushed up to the 24th.
Take care and I know you will do great also.  I will say prayers for you and your family.