Breast Cancer Community
Memory Loss and Arimidex
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Memory Loss and Arimidex

I am 55 years old.  I was diagnosed one year ago with stage 1 breast cancer that was grade 3, ER/HR positive.  I received surgery as well as radiation therapy for treatment and finished radiation 8 months ago.  Since that time I have been taking Arimidex to ward off any potential recurrence.  During the past year, I have noticed that I have short-term memory loss as well as episodic memory loss.  I might go to a restaurant with my husband and a month or two later, I can't remember if we have been there.  Or I might go out to dinner with another couple I have never met before and months later cannot remember them when my husband mentions their names.  These memory lapses are very inconsistent, and do not always occur this way.  But my husband has noticed that I forget small things all the time (like things he has said to me).  I am very organized and really don't have trouble with activities of daily living, but this is a marked difference from before I had the cancer treatments.  Do you have any evidence that cancer itself, or Arimidex therapy may be the culprit?

This discussion is related to cognitive changes on femara.