Metaplastic Carcinoma
Which breast care centers are most active in treatment of metaplastic carcinoma?  How does one decide where to go for specialist opinions on less common cancers if local resources are limited?

Are there any statistics on effectiveness of chemotherapy for this?  Originally I was told that after a mastectomy for invasive ductal carcinoma, the next step would be chemotherapy. The new pathological information based on the mastectomy has changed the probable next step to radiation, but the doctors are still consulting.  

This discussion is related to Metaplastic Carcinoma of Breast - Follow Up Therapy.
Hi there.

Metaplastic carcinoma is indeed an uncommon type of tumor compared to the usual invasive ductal cancers.  If I'm not mistaken, metaplastic carcinoma may behave less invasive and has a more favorable prognosis and course compared to invasive ductal carcinoma.  However, the national comprehensive cancer network (NCCN) has lumped metaplastic with the invasive ductal in terms of treatment:

http://www.nccn.org/patients/patient_gls/_english/_breast/contents.asp

The consultations that your doctors are doing with each other or with other specialists are very welcome as this would tailor-fit your treatment.  Large specialized centers including Memorial Sloan-Kettering or MD Anderson may have definite protocols for this condition.  Regards.
Thanks for the information on centers..