Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Metastatic breast cancer and Necrosis

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Metastatic breast cancer and Necrosis

My mother, 61, and who lives in India was diagnosed with a stage-3 breast-cancer in July 2001 in her right breast.  Her oncologist trated her with 6-cycles of primary chemo (Cytoxicin, taxol, etc.)??, followed by a complete mascetomy of her right breast and lymph nodes.  After that, she was given radiation on the affected areas for another month. Other than a prolonged period of fluid drainage caused by the surgery, there was no recurrence of cancer detected until November 2002 when a tiny shadow was detected in her right lung which was diagnosed a metstatic breast cancer.  

My mom was treated for the metastatis with secondary chemo regimen of Navalbine and Xeloda for 5 cycles, which was showing considerable regression of the tumor.  But, in June 2003, her oncologist concluded that my mom was not responding to her chemo regimen, and, since she was estrogen receptor negative no harmone therapy would work on her.  So, basically he was
focusing on making her quality of life better. This was 4 months ago.

Her latest CT scan of the chest showed the following observations:

1. Evidence of a large heterogenous mass lesion measuring 10.6 x 8 cms. involving the right upper and middle lobe with areas of hypoattenuation within suggestive of necrosis (my mom was complaning of acute pain in her right shoulder)

2. Her lung tumor has grown to 5.4 x 2.4 cms. suggestive of lymphodenopathy

3. No evidence of pleural effusion.

My question is, what are her chances?  What, if anything, can be done at this stage for her.

From the outside, she looks ok. Thanks.
Dear msingh, The goals of treatment of metastatic breast cancer are control of the disease and symptoms.  So focus is on quality of life.  Any treatment given is given with these goals in mind.  Treatments may be radiation to the tumor, or a different type of chemotherapy decisions what to do are based on prior treatments, her overall health, and keeping in mind the goals - control of disease, symptoms, and quality of life.
Thanks for a quick response!

One more clarification, that large heterogenous lesion involving the right upper and middle lobe, is that still considered being within the breast area or is it some othe organ? Thanks.

- Msingh
upper and middle lobe refers to areas of the lung.