Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Metastatic breast cancer

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Metastatic breast cancer

My wife has metastatic breast cancer that has spread to her lungs.  Does anyone know someone with this same problem that I can talk to about possible treatments that can prolong her life and hopefully save it?  The doctors at M.D.Anderson say there is nothing that can be done to save her life.  Also, I would like to know if there are any clinical trials that she might take part in.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Dear rfrenn, The goal of treatment of metastatic breast cancer is to control the disease and its symptoms, and to prevent complications for as long as possible.  Treatment decisions take into account many factors such as, a person's overall health, risks of treatment as well as quality of life issues.  

Clinical trials have different criteria for eligibility and also have differing focuses depending on the trial.  Trials can vary from institution to institution for example a trial being offered at MD Anderson may not be offered at Cleveland Clinic.  The National Cancer Institute on it's website, lists a number of trials that they are sponsoring.  Some of these trials may be available at various sites throughout the country. They also discuss clinical trials in general. Their website address is www.nci.nih.gov/ClinicalTrials.
My 47 year old sister was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly two years ago.  She had a lumpectomy and the doctors recommended chemotherapy.  She quit her chemotherapy after 2 or 3 sessions and opted for a holistic approach.  She was cancer free for some time, but recently had bronchitis with fluid build up in her lungs. They drained the fluid and biopsied it and found cancer cells in the fluid.  They have not given her a good prognosis, in fact give her a 10% chance of recovery after chemotherapy.  
I find it hard to believe that even with chemotherapy her prognosis is so poor.  
I am a 13 year breast cancer survivor. My treatment consisted
of a mastectomy followed by a six month course of chemotherapy.  
I am NOT ready or prepared to lose my younger sister to this disease and would welcome any expert medical advice along with any comments on this matter.
Thank you,
slc2
My friend was just diagnosed with bone cancer/breast cancer (had 14 yrs ago).  She fell and broke serveral bones.  Can anyone give me an idea of what this means in terms of survival or treatment.