Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Micro-calcification?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Micro-calcification?

I'm 45 and have regular mammograms and was always told I have "dense" tissue. On my last mammo they saw some calcificatinon in the upper left breast  so I had a spot compression and magnification done.  No results yet.  I started noticing a tingling  and slight burning in that breast in March.  Now I'm also feeling some tingling in my right breast.   I've taken Climara .025 twice but for only 4 days of the mth.  I don't guess vit. supplements could cause this pain, like pharmacuetical(pure) grade fish oil.  What about Inflammitory breast cancer.  Would that evey show up on a mammogram?  I have no family history of breast cancer and never  had breast problems in the past.  I was told that micro-calcification is what the dr.s look for when they suspect cancer  and this burning  is pretty painful.
Dear Sunny5000:  Inflammatory breast cancer generally presents as a red, hot, inflammed area of the breast.  It is often swollen and the skin looks inflammed.  It often does not show on a mammogram.  From what you describe, I do not think this is what is happening in your case.  I'm not certain why you are feeling this tingling/burning.  You should discuss with your doctor.  I doubt, especially since it is on both sides, that it has anything to do with cancer or the calcifications.  Calcifications often grow in clusters around areas of concern, thus the repeat mammogram.  If there is still concern after the magnification views, a biopsy may be necessary.  Breast cancer is usually painless.
I also had a mammogram which showed microcalsifications.  I, in turn, was sent for a needle core biopsy and it turned out to be cancer.  It was a tubular cancer which accounts for 1 to 2 percent of all breast cancers.  The tumor was in the duct.  It was stage 1, hormone receptive (I was on Climara patch and was taken off following diagnosis).  It was Her2/Neu neg.  The tumor was .07mm.  In other words, I am very fortunate that my cancer is treatable and I have a very good prognosis (96% success rate).  At any rate, due to also having very dense breast tissue and my mammograms being hard to read, I along with my surgeon chose to have a mastectomy followed by reconstruction.  This would, in my opinion, make that breast easier to view for future tracking.  I am three weeks post mastectomy and doing well.  I did not have enough tissue to do the tram flap so I have a tissue expander in place right now and go every week to have saline added to it.  The expander stretches the skin to match the other breast and then I go in for another surgery to have the expander taken out and the "real" implant placed in.  The plastic surgeon will also be placing an implant in the "good" breast and raising the nipple for symmetry purposes.  I am doing very well.  From what I understand, the microcalsifications can be surrounding cancer or be independant of cancer.  I am hoping yours is independant.  If you have mammograms every year (I did too) then chances are that they have caught this in very early stages.  Best of luck.
Thank you for your reply and I do hope you are doing much better.
Sorry for all those posts!! I don't know what happened.  

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing well and I hope you are.

I'm really new to this and haven't gotten the results of the second mammo yet.  I did notice something tho. I had foot surgery in Jan. and was unable to walk for 6 weeks and still can not get back to my previous exercise routine so I've put on 15-20 lbs.  My breast cup size has increased and I go braless at night and sometimes wear a nonsupport bra during the day.  I was reading on another forum that extra weight in the breast area could cause sagging and cause torn ligaments in the breast tissue, which makes sence.  So for the last two days I'm wearing a support bra hiked up to my chin day and night.  The burning has stopped but I'm still getting some tingling.  I'm sure I'll have a direction to go in once I get the mammo results.

Thanks again for your reply.
Well, I sure hope all goes well.  Write back and tell what the second mammogram said.  Will cross my fingers for you.

Kate
Today I returned for a second mamogram (mammogram) in one week and was told that calcifications of the left breast were noted and to return in six months.  Isn't six months a significant waiting period if by some chance cancer is present.  Also, I never see the doctor.  All of the feedback is given by the technicians.  Should I feel ok about all of this ?  A little uneasy...
I had my mammogram today and was told I am showing more calcification than normal and that I should come back in 6 months.  More pictures were taken today after the initial test along with a sonogram.  The doctor said she did not suspect cancer but wanted to follow my case.  I just recently had a dermoid tumor.  I am 50 years old and when I was diagnosed with this tumor I chose to go off my hormones.  I feel fine.  I have never heard of calcification in the breasts.  What is it?  What are the percentages that it is cancer?
I have micro-calcification in my left breast at the 2 oclock
area. I was set up for a biopsy tommorrow & the Dr.put it off
for 6 months due to my breast being extremely sore. She was to do a steriotactic biopsy but felt I couldn't stand having my
breast compressed for one hour for the procedure & I know I
couldn't stand it either. I ask if she could sedate me & she
said no, as you have to set up for this procedure. I would
probably faint from just the pain. She told me waiting is okay
as these are non-invasive. Even if it is malignant, it does
not do anything because of it being non-invasive. I hope this
is correct. Any feed back would be appreciated.