Microcalcifications always cancer?
I'm 52 years old. Went for annual mammogram, saw an area of calcifications. Went back for 2nd mammogram. Said I needed a stereotactic biopsy. I'm thin and small breasted. When I went for stereo, had a VERY hard time getting enough "margin" for the biopsy. Radiologist went ahead with biopsy and did a mammogram afterwards. Four days later my doctor called and said everything was benign. Whew! WRONG! 10 days later she called back and the radiologist decided that tissue they removed with core biopsy WASN'T tissue they wanted to check. So now I'm scheduled for a surgical biopsy on January 11. I have tried to be realistic and calm about this, but am now worried that they won't get "right" area again. How can I be sure that correct area is excised? Not feeling real comfortable since they didn't do things very well lats time! Anyone else had this issue? Thanks!
Yes,it's unfortunate what happened to you,but these things do happen sometimes.Please rest assured that a surgical biopsy is a good way to get a clear diagnosis.This type of breast biopsy removes the largest size of tissue sample,as compared to any type of needle biopsy.This type of surgery is done in a hospital, with general anesthetic, and is usually an outpatient procedure.
The tissue will be examined in a lab right away to ensure that it is an accurate sample and get a diagnosis.
To answer your question,calcification are NOT always cancer,they can be cause by many benign conditions such as calcifications in a dilated milk duct,cysts,fibroadenomas, infection or just skin calcification.Very often biopsies done on clustered or suspicious calcifications return a benign finding, but if unfortunately it does not,then the cancer would be at a very early stage and highly curable.
I hope that your upcoming surgical biopsy will result in benign findings.
Best wishes and good luck!..
Thank you so much! I'm just ready for this all to be done and get an answer, either way!!! Crossing my fingers!
I have had many calcifications biopsied over the years!!!!!  None of them were malignant.  so try and keep calm!!!!!
Hi, You said you have had many calcifications biopsied over the years and all were ok. This gives me a little comfort as I had then 3 years ago they were biopsied and were nothing. Now I am going again on Tuesday for the same microcalifications in a different spot in same breast. How far apart were youe biopsies? I am very worried this time as I was so grateful the first time that they were nothing and worring can I be as lucky this time. Thanks